Not sure where to post this!

This is my advise to you.

Each manufacturer uses a different lubricant on their bullets, some also use less like CCI or Aguila, and some use a lot like RWS. So what I do per my dad's instructions almost 30 yrs ago, is a quick clean of the barrel after each brand of ammo.

Then I do 5 shots to foul/grease the barrel, and then shoot a group of five. Otherwise you'll get mixed results.

I would do this and test them all over again, just my $0.02 and hope it helps.

You should be able to group 5 or 10 shots inside a nickel or dime, of at least one type of ammo.

Here is a group of my 10/22 @ 50m with Aguila Ammo, and with the horrible factory trigger. Two outside the nickel when I measured it, flyers? Maybe, or might been me.

20200923_193109.jpg

Next trip out I'm going to do the same thing to my Savage 22LR bolt action and see what it likes. That rifle is topped with a Tasco 4-16X that has been very reliable for me. I dropped by my local gun shop and picked up three 100 round boxes of CCI Mini Mags.

Each manufacturer uses a different lubricant on their bullets, some also use less like CCI or Aguila, and some use a lot like RWS. So what I do per my dad's instructions almost 30 yrs ago, is a quick clean of the barrel after each brand of ammo.

Then I do 5 shots to foul/grease the barrel, and then shoot a group of five. Otherwise you'll get mixed results.

You should be able to group 5 or 10 shots inside a nickel or dime, of at least one type of ammo.

Here is a group of my 10/22 @ 50m with Aguila Ammo, and with the horrible factory trigger. Two outside the nickel when I measured it, flyers? Maybe, or might been me.
I have a 10-22 that shoots great too. Its a 50 year anniversary edition. It shoots just about everything well. It is my official can plinking rifle and also spends a lot of time traveling around with me in my pickup or ATV. With its straight 4x scope its a good fast handling vermin/coyote dispatcher.

I' shoot much cheap .22LR ammo - give different varieties of Aguila a try, CCI Blazer works real well also, both these perform better than CCI Standard Velocity in my rifle. Not exacty cheap but close, 8 YO S-K Magazine .22LR, metal can filled with 500 greasy rounds put 5 in same hole at 50. The SK ammo lacks power to cycle Ruger MKIV pistol.

Rifle is a clamp barrel Ruger 77/22 with a custom 20 inch, sort of heavy, Douglas chrome moly barrel with a Weaver T10, aluminum tube 1/8 dot scope. I have had rifle for 35 years.

I'd love to see a data sheet on the results, I am a rifle instructor and deal in alot of 22 guns and ammo it would be cool to see your info if you have it. I've wanted to do something like this and started but it kind of petered off maybe I'll try again in the future. I'd love to see how my brick of Sears ammo shoots!

I have done several similar test over the years with tried and true ammo from all the various manufacturers and whatever is touted as the latest and the greatest from all the name brands, I have tried them in a plain jane .22 off the rack, and a Winchester Model 52 B, I have found that when trying to find the accuracy of 22 lr ammo, a 10 shot group tells more than a 5 shot group. I still have a brick of Winchester Mark III ammo which my Model 52 B shoots very well at 100 yds. I haven't seen this ammo in decades.

I have done several similar test over the years with tried and true ammo from all the various manufacturers and whatever is touted as the latest and the greatest from all the name brands, I have tried them in a plain jane .22 off the rack, and a Winchester Model 52 B, I have found that when trying to find the accuracy of 22 lr ammo, a 10 shot group tells more than a 5 shot group. I still have a brick of Winchester Mark III ammo which my Model 52 B shoots very well at 100 yds. I haven't seen this ammo in decades.

Haven't seen or heard of the Mark III ammo in a long long time.

Coming back. Prices have been very high, but coming down now. Now in the $5.00 per box range. Have to watch on prices. They are all over the place. I have plenty in stock. So I don't worry about it. I don't shoot that much with them either. Normal us 22mg and 17WSM cartridges now. The 17WSM are in very short supply presently, Again I have plenty of them too.
Lots of 22 mag and 17 here. About $13 to $15 box of 50. Lots of 22 lr from $3 and up..
Stingers $8. Spending that much for 22 lr is crazy to me . I have enough 22 lr and 22 mag to last me until ... Boxes of 325 Fed. at Wally Mart are $21.xx.
Not too bad. Days of $10 bricks are gone.

Haven't seen or heard of the Mark III ammo in a long long time.
I traded a huge 7 point shed elk antler for 2 bricks of the Winchester Mark III ammo about 20 years ago, II have shot 1 brick up in some rimfire F matches over the years and plan on shooting the last brick in some rimfire benchrest matches in the next couple years.

Last edited:
Here's is my 22 rimfire collection. Top one a Browning trombone style 22 rimfire. Very first firearm I ever shot 5 years old shooting 22 shorts. A long time ago. Never forgot the first time. Next one a Stevens Little Scout 161/2". Then more modern rigs. All of them shoot quite well depending on ammo used. Many gophers(Richardson Ground Squirrels) rabbits (both snow shoe hair and common Jack rabbits) prairie chickens(Sharp Tails) grouse(Ruffed) killed with the little Browning when I was a kid.

Attachments

• DSCN1847.JPG
    DSCN1847.JPG
    954.2 KB · Views: 14
My target Ruger loves CCI blazer definitely worth the test of ammo to see what a rifle prefers nice setup. Almost all my 22s hate Golden bullet but it was so cheap for long time oh well. Got some Montgomery Ward you could try lol
Montgomery Ward....holy crap you must be as old as I am! Remington 22 ammo was,all I shot. That was before I knew any better and just relied on the name. Once I started shooting indoor matches it opened up a whole new world of rimfire possibilities.

What he said....
Only may I add, move your target out to at least 75 yards if not 100 if you have a good scope and shoot your groups for score at that distance any flyers will really show themselves instead of shooting at 50 and wondering if that one 3/4 inch out was you or not, you will know at distance and shoot at least 5 to start with before shooting for score then shoot 5 groups of 5 of the top three performers from the 50 yard line.
The lube is a big deal, do not discount the cci sv or others with seemingly thin or less slippery lube as it may take a few more to season the barrel before it settles in with a particular ammo.
When I am doing this sort of testing I clean my rifles with kroil until no lead or black on patch the a couple dry patches, then either acetone or rubbing alcohol followed bu another dry, it may be unnecessary but to make sure I get all the lube off from the previous ammo I do it anyway

View attachment 372409