not sure might b stupid ?

DwRuger

I ordered a 338 savage today. starting out with win. factory loads because i dont have the room to reload or the time right now but there r a few places around me and i have friends that have loaders if I buy dies r have these other places reload for me what is a good load to start out with that 1 of these fellows would understand me trying to explain. probably start out shooting paper 100 to 200yds. not sure when i will begin hunting with it. should i save my money and break in the barrel before i have them reloading for me. thanx

What bullet do you want to shoot?

I'd reload if you can.

I liked H4831 and 250gr Barnes X bullets in the 338's I had.

Federal had the better brass.

Along the lines of what Brent said.

338 Win Mag?

Break in with the cheapes ammo you can. If you plan to reload, then go ahead and use the factory ammo and get an idea of how it shoots.

Reload if you possibly can. Best load I have seen for the Ruger 338 I load for is 250 Barnes X over H4350. Work up loads from the Barnes manual.
If having others load for you, see if they have a way to measure headspace (like stoney Point). Get a stoney point dummy cartridge along with the dies so they can begin to tailor the OAL length for your chamber.

Have fun.

yes it is a win mag. how many rounds do you recommend for breaking it in. It has a SS fluted barrel if that makes a difference thanx.

Question is are you breaking in your barrel properly? Shoot one, clean, shoot again, clean, repeat for 10 shots. Then shoot 3, clean, 3more clean, 3 more clean and you should be good to go.
As far as I'm concerned breaking in a barrel does not improve accuracy, at least not directly. What proper breaking in does is removes the minor burrs from the machining process giving less chance for fouling to build up in the bore. That fouling is what will hinder accuracy down the road.

Recent Posts