• You must be a Supporting Member to create a listing in the Long Range Hunting Marketplace. To read all the rules, click here.

We offer multiple options to become a Supporting Member here.

Not sure if this is scam or not but, ...

Sid Post

I have a WTB ad on this site for Zeiss Victory HT 10x54's binoculars and got a PM/Conversation from a member registered in Nov of this year with 22 random posts about hunting. He said he thought his friend had the bins I was looking for and was thinning his collection.

As this member was listed as NYC, NY and his friend was in Montana, I obviously was a bit curious and wanted to discuss a possible sale on the phone before moving forward as the pictures could have come from anywhere. Long story short, "a message was sent to a landline" but, my phone shows no activity and I obviously would not get a text message. We corresponded via email and text to my cellphone.

Sure enough, a Google of the text number revealed an Indian reservation in Polson, MT with a demographic and average income level consistent with my Indian reservation experiences in Oklahoma and Arizona.

The conversation with the member from this site appears to have been deleted so, I'm wondering if he was banned. Twice when I called the text message phone number I got a 'voicemail to text' service. After some more email, now I get the phone to connect but no audio.

At this point, I'm inclined to think this is a scam in the making, though it could be a bit premature to rule other possibilities out. I'm still curious where the LRH conversation went though.

Best Regards,
Sid

I have a WTB ad on this site for Zeiss Victory HT 10x54's binoculars and got a PM/Conversation from a member registered in Nov of this year with 22 random posts about hunting. He said he thought his friend had the bins I was looking for and was thinning his collection.

As this member was listed as NYC, NY and his friend was in Montana, I obviously was a bit curious and wanted to discuss a possible sale on the phone before moving forward as the pictures could have come from anywhere. Long story short, "a message was sent to a landline" but, my phone shows no activity and I obviously would not get a text message. We corresponded via email and text to my cellphone.

Sure enough, a Google of the text number revealed an Indian reservation in Polson, MT with a demographic and average income level consistent with my Indian reservation experiences in Oklahoma and Arizona.

The conversation with the member from this site appears to have been deleted so, I'm wondering if he was banned. Twice when I called the text message phone number I got a 'voicemail to text' service. After some more email, now I get the phone to connect but no audio.

At this point, I'm inclined to think this is a scam in the making, though it could be a bit premature to rule other possibilities out. I'm still curious where the LRH conversation went though.

Best Regards,
Sid
Did you address this with the Admins?

Is there a good way to reach the Admins for a follow-up? Before I go public with the phone number and an email address, I want to confirm as many details as possible before I burn someone publicly.

"Sending a message to house phone" and getting text to voice responses to the cellphone text number suggests to me this is likely a faked phone number from some sort of Internet-based phone spoofing.

If they reuse the email address or phone number, at least I could warn others to move along and not waste their time and definitely save their money from going to these fraudsters.

Is there a good way to reach the Admins for a follow-up? Before I go public with the phone number and an email address, I want to confirm as many details as possible before I burn someone publicly.

"Sending a message to house phone" and getting text to voice responses to the cellphone text number suggests to me this is likely a faked phone number from some sort of Internet-based phone spoofing.

If they reuse the email address or phone number, at least I could warn others to move along and not waste their time and definitely save their money from going to these fraudsters.
Just initiate the correspondence and consult for the course of action.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.