NOT SIZING FAR ENOUGH!

1000yards

This has been mulled over before but I am trying to load for a just built 280AI. As you can see in the pic my Redding type S full length sizer is only able to get that much of the case sized. Even used a .010 bump die trying to get far enough down the case so the brass will chamber. No joy! Short of turning the die down shorter which with my luck will just ruin the die I am out of answers. Any good thoughts ?
280AI.jpg

Several things could be going on! Was that brass fired in your gun? Do you have a headspace comparator to check measurement from base to datum line? For a quick fix you can try putting a feeler gauge between the case and shell holder to see it that works. If that works you can take that amount off your the top of your shell holder.

get new brass first. remember the 280ai was a wildcat for so many years and so many different chamber specs. that it is one case that you cant interchange from another chamber. you must start with new cases no choice

This has been mulled over before but I am trying to load for a just built 280AI. As you can see in the pic my Redding type S full length sizer is only able to get that much of the case sized. Even used a .010 bump die trying to get far enough down the case so the brass will chamber. No joy! Short of turning the die down shorter which with my luck will just ruin the die I am out of answers. Any good thoughts ?View attachment 220853
Possibly get a small base die but new brass would be a better fix

This has been mulled over before but I am trying to load for a just built 280AI. As you can see in the pic my Redding type S full length sizer is only able to get that much of the case sized. Even used a .010 bump die trying to get far enough down the case so the brass will chamber. No joy! Short of turning the die down shorter which with my luck will just ruin the die I am out of answers. Any good thoughts ?

As others noted, that new rifle deserves new brass. "I" personally track fired brass from each rifles (i.e., I have 3 .300 WMs and 2 .300 WSMs) but that's just me. Good luck!

get new brass first. remember the 280ai was a wildcat for so many years and so many different chamber specs. that it is one case that you cant interchange from another chamber. you must start with new cases no choice
Totally agree with the above statement. I went through your same issue when I had a new barrel installed on my 6.5-284 Norma. Tight tolerances wouldn't allow me to use any brass that had NOT been fired in my chamber. So start with virgin brass and take the advice of others and buy the Petersen brass

MagMan has a low cost suggestion. See if your Redding die will get the job done with a shell holder ground down. Then you will know that length to shoulder is the problem. I have had this problem with Redding dies in .243 WSSM for factory Winchester rifles and .219 Donaldson Wasp. "Custom" dies made by Whidden are under $200 and will put a smile on your face.

Put your shell holder on a belt sander.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.