Not really LR, or ULR but....

Imortal Wombat

was just after some info in the GAMO Hunter 1250. I was thiking of getting one for plinking, and shooting some rats etc in our shed and was just ofter some info and your thoughts. If you feel a differnet air rifle would eb better value for money or whatever feel free to suggest one.

Thanks in advance.

If your going for rats and stuff like that from a distance of not very far I wouldn't get the 1250. I have the 440 and that is at 1000fps. Still lethal enough to take jout almost anything. For raccoon I wound opt for a .22, but anything else it is just fine.

I've got an RWS 48. I like it mainly because I just have trouble with the idea of grabbing on to the barrel and pulling to get it open. The 48 is a side cocker and if the bore isn't absolutely dry it will go super sonic on you
rolleyes.gif
it runs at about 1100 fps. Not a nice suprise when you are trying to be quiet. I dusted a cat with a head shot at 60 paces using a match pellet and even had an exit wound. I have also used it succesfully on tree rats out to 25 yds or so.

Cheers
cool.gif

Accuracy wise I think they are about the same. In my basement I have put **** near every shot through the same hole. Plenty enough to take a rabbit at 30-40 yards as long as you hit the vitals, and if you can hit him. I did hit a rabbit in the head once from a very short range. Dead instantly, another at about 20 yards in a not vitals shot and dead just the same. Make sure when you buy pellets you don't get some crap ones like Copperhead. Get the Gamo Master Point pellets. They are accurate as hell, but still expand. I have detonated a full pop can before. The hole thing splits down the side.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.