Not happy with 156 EOL

I Am at sea level. I have shot these out to 500 yards. My gun is a 1-8 twist, shoots 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards. Held tight groups out to 500. It's not a stability issue.
If your at sea level, at 3000 fps your marginally stable. Though only barely into marginal stability, marginal stability has been argued by some really smart bullet manufacturers to influence terminal performance. Not saying that is the issue, but something to consider.
Screenshot_20191117-064547_Samsung Internet.jpg
Screenshot_20191117-064607_Samsung Internet.jpg

If your at sea level, at 3000 fps your marginally stable. Though only barely into marginal stability, marginal stability has been argued by some really smart bullet manufacturers to influence terminal performance. Not saying that is the issue, but something to consider.View attachment 158305 View attachment 158306
If I can hold 1/2 moa out to 500, it shouldn't effect the bullet at 150 yards.

I was planning on using 140 gr Hornady ELD-M'S on this year's hunt out of my 6.5/06,,, but my long time hunting partner shut that idea down...

I switched to 140gr Nosler Partions and couldn't be happier,,, they lay it out there at close range on out to 300 meters with plenty of Punch-Junk...

2980 at the muzzle seems to be enough to harvest the thick skins with in my shooting zone...

I'm sure that the triple shock bullets would be close to the same,,, another go performance bullet up here for the thick skins is the G-Max,,, I'm a big fan of bounded bullets...

Just me i guess,,, thanks for the heads up,,, I'll watch the thread to see what other folks mention...

I couldn't shoot the 156's any ways since my rifle only has a 1:8 twist...

Cheers from the North

At 150 the bullet should do what it's supposed to do
I also had questionable results with 156 eol (6.5 saum 3175 mv) on a cow elk at 385yds shot placement tight to shoulder; she went 10 yards and played down. Gave her an hour and when we approached she jumped up and ran down the canyon in snow and only found 1 quarter size drop of blood....

I've been hunting with an outfitter for 20 years. For our week in the woods, 15 hunters, we'll get 30 to 45 deer. Every year there is at least one deer where all the guys will say "how did that deer run that far with damage like that". When they brought them back to the lodge to butcher there was no blood left to drip out. All of these animals are all different. If you could stage the same exact shot, bullet placement, caliber on 12 different animals, the likelihood of seeing 12 different reactions is very probably. Conversely we see a lot of animals where there is a pencil sized entry and a pencil sized exit and the animal drops on the spot. Open it up and you wonder why. We see the best results for that week with Barnes TSX, Nosler ABLR and Partitions, one guy has been using Hammers effectively in a good ole .308 (we never have to look for his downed deer), none of these are used in magnum calibers. I think those super-duper velocities changes things on the animal, not always for the better. Just my 2-cents.

Non of these questions should matter. If you put a bullet in the boiler room. Animal should be dead. I've never seen an eol bullet perform. Never been a fan of Bob Beck. Met in a couple times. Pretty arrogant guy.

Not very happy with the performance, had a good hit in a whitetail. Didn't seem to be a ton of internal damage. Took out one lung , good shot placement. Ran 200 yards, then piled up. Didn't seem to perform like I wanted it to, will try it again on a doe to hopefully change my opinion.
Lungers are not shots that drop anything in it's tracks. Bullets designed to penetrate don't do a whole lot of damage on their way thru but a blind man can usually track one down. A good broadside shot in the bread basket doesn't require the Nosler Partition but will always give you the blood to follow everytime the animal takes a breath. If you want to do a whole lot of internal damage feed it a Berger hunting style bullet and you can have a basket full of jello when you dress it out.

I seen some strange happenings that can't be explained. Shot a 275 lb whitetail with a 338 Win mag and he ran 200 yards before expiring. Bullet was a nosler 200 BT, shot was quatering to me. Placement was behind the front should exit just behind the ribs. The rest of the season I used a 25-06 and 117 sierra Game kings which yielded six more deer which all fell in their tracks or traveled less than 10 yards. Yesterday i took a large buck using a 160 gr nosler accubond using a 280AI. Wasn't the most ideal shot placement but didn't want him to scent me. Bullet enters between shoulder and neck and exit wound is middle ribs. Exit wound is the size of a golf ball. Deer traveled 50 yards with huge blood trail.

The bullet didn't hit a bone on the way in. I don't think a whitetail should have ran 200 yards with a hit like that. There was no exit and I haven't found the bullet yet, I have shot deer with the 140 and had better results. I hope to have a better result in the next deer.
I shot a white tail with a 338 EDGE 250g SGK bullet. Hit a rib going through the lungs took out the front leg going out: 3" exit wound with bone laying on the ground. Deer ran 100yds through brush, had not been running prior to the shot. Wild animals are tough and fight to live.

....If your at sea level, at 3000 fps your marginally stable. Though only barely into marginal stability, marginal stability has been argued by some really smart bullet manufacturers to influence terminal performance. Not saying that is the issue, but something to consider......

Or a combination of not coming in square, and a point not in as good as it should be.

The bullet didn't hit a bone on the way in. I don't think a whitetail should have ran 200 yards with a hit like that. There was no exit and I haven't found the bullet yet, I have shot deer with the 140 and had better results. I hope to have a better result in the next deer.
I've seen deer shot with a 50 cal , 300 grain bullet at 50 yds and run for approx 300 yds with no blood trail. No blood until we got to where she died. Autopsy revealed bullet went through both lungs and heart but deer still survived. They can be tough at times. Not all animals react like you want them to all the time. Good placed shots always gets it done. They can run 10 yards or 300 yds but they can't run forever without lungs or a heart. I just recently stopped using a bonded bullet in my muzzleloader because at slower speeds you need a softer bullet. Bonded bullets just poke holes and don't do much damage or expel their energy into the animal at slower speeds.

Not very happy with the performance, had a good hit in a whitetail. Didn't seem to be a ton of internal damage. Took out one lung , good shot placement. Ran 200 yards, then piled up. Didn't seem to perform like I wanted it to, will try it again on a doe to hopefully change my opinion.
You are the only negative opinion I have heard.

What were you not happy about. You hit soft tissue from a fast bullet @ 150 yards. And the animal died. A very tuff animal

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.