Not getting velocities as posted in Hornady RL manual on 6.5PRC

My 6.5 PRC is a factory Browning XBolt HCLR 26" barrel. I had similar velocity results and sentiments until about 80 rounds then the velocity picked up. (I was also frustrated until that point.) now I've got a load to match factory ammo velocities and very happy with it, as I get right about 3000fps or just over with the 143 eldx. The hand loads I'm using 4831 powder, I had it on hand and it surprised me! I'm well below Max data and no pressure issues.

so my suggestion is like others - keep shooting and I feel you will find the velocity increase within the next 100.

I am loading RL 23 with Hornady 140 grain eld-m and Berger 140 grain vld Bullets Norma brass and federal match lr primers. Following the Hornady reloading manual.
shooting .19" groups but velocities are not even close.
24" barrel
here are the results from the labradar

RL 23 grainsFPS avgDelta FPS
Just not understanding what the book states at 54.1 grains it should be pushing 3050 FPS but at 2854.2 is a 6% reductio. Any thoughts would be helpful. The guns shoots just wanted more velocity that is why I justified it over the 6.5 creed moore. I have three of them.
How far can I push over the recommended levels checking primers and pressure signs. I have shot about 80 rounds through the gun with standard break in. picture is 10' target at 1,000 yards slight breeze pushing left.
That's great shooting!

I reload for several calibers and finding the same as the OP with speeds as measured by LabRadar up to around 100-125 fps slower than what is published in the Hornady Reloading Manual for a given C.O.L, powder and charge weight. True, I don't have the same barrel length as tested by Hornady, but I would expect their data to be a little more closer than what it is. I anneal the brass each time, turn the necks and use a mandrel to set the neck tension to 0.003". I find Nosler speeds to be closer to their published data.

BTW.....I have 100 pieces of new in-the-box Hornady 6.5 Creedmoor brass that I will sell for what I paid for them ($37.99/box of 50 plus shipping) if someone has a need for brass.. Just PM me. First come, first served.

You might have to choose between accuracy over speed especially if you use Hornady brass. I have 2 PRC's and have used nearly all Hornady's of reloading data and have never gotten their advertised speeds in any of my PRC's without pressure problems. RL26 & H1000 seem to be more consistant than their other listed loads but I still get pressure when near >2950 fps.
This has also been my experience with a 22" barrel, N565, and ADG brass. Staying clear of pressure, I'm only getting around 2850 with 156s and 2890 with 147s. Will be trying 140s and some faster burning powders soon.

The accuracy you are getting is great I would be very happy with what you are getting for hunting or target I have two 6.5 PRC and shooting H4831SC and getting 2950 on savage backcountry and 3000 on Christenson arms with 143 eld-x you might give it a try if you can find any

Great post, glad I saw this. I have a newer 270 that I shoot federal fusion from (factory loaded). I've got right at 100 rounds through it. Velocity was about 3015 fps at first and the last time I checked it was about 3080 fps at same temps. Certainly lot to lot variation is at play, but I hadnt considered the barrel speeding up as it breaks in. Frankly it shot more accurately at the slower velocities, haha. I'll have to see where velocities land. ES/SD was very good both time I chrono'ed (although I only chrono'ed 4 rounds per box).

Last edited:
It's two things. One, new brass uses energy to form to the chamber on its first firing. Two, it takes 150-200 rounds for a barrel to break in. Once it's broke in, you should gain significant FPS.
And after 200 more Hot loads you will be chasing the lands.

I am loading RL 23 with Hornady 140 grain eld-m and Berger 140 grain vld Bullets Norma brass and federal match lr primers. Following the Hornady reloading manual.
shooting .19" groups but velocities are not even close.
24" barrel
here are the results from the labradar

RL 23 grainsFPS avgDelta FPS
Just not understanding what the book states at 54.1 grains it should be pushing 3050 FPS but at 2854.2 is a 6% reductio. Any thoughts would be helpful. The guns shoots just wanted more velocity that is why I justified it over the 6.5 creed moore. I have three of them.
How far can I push over the recommended levels checking primers and pressure signs. I have shot about 80 rounds through the gun with standard break in. picture is 10' target at 1,000 yards slight breeze pushing left.
Few if any reloading manuals will give you what you want, it's called vicarious liability, they give you velocities that are obtainable, but... the powder weights have been lawyerized most of the time if you want to reach the velocity you're looking for you'll have to chronograph and watch pressure on the brass, keeping it safe of course.
An example of reloading manuals; I have a very large collection of reloading manuals I've collected over my many years of reloading from nearly all of the major companies that make them, let's take Noslers manual #1 and the charges used in many of the higher pressure cartridges in that manual... too manual #9 which is their latest one which seems too have slowly come down in powder weight/charge, but... the velocity doesn't change much if at all... Just an observation on my part.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.