Not getting velocities as posted in Hornady RL manual on 6.5PRC

Dan swainston

I am loading RL 23 with Hornady 140 grain eld-m and Berger 140 grain vld Bullets Norma brass and federal match lr primers. Following the Hornady reloading manual.
shooting .19" groups but velocities are not even close.
24" barrel
here are the results from the labradar

RL 23 grainsFPS avgDelta FPS
Just not understanding what the book states at 54.1 grains it should be pushing 3050 FPS but at 2854.2 is a 6% reductio. Any thoughts would be helpful. The guns shoots just wanted more velocity that is why I justified it over the 6.5 creed moore. I have three of them.
How far can I push over the recommended levels checking primers and pressure signs. I have shot about 80 rounds through the gun with standard break in. picture is 10' target at 1,000 yards slight breeze pushing left.

Attachments

• 1D5ABC00-83B4-498F-A483-56336AB106B1.jpeg
    1D5ABC00-83B4-498F-A483-56336AB106B1.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 179
You might have to choose between accuracy over speed especially if you use Hornady brass. I have 2 PRC's and have used nearly all Hornady's of reloading data and have never gotten their advertised speeds in any of my PRC's without pressure problems. RL26 & H1000 seem to be more consistant than their other listed loads but I still get pressure when near >2950 fps.

What is the COAL for the load? Max COAL is 2.955 which may be also part of the equation. A shorter COAL sometimes generates more velocities with case density, pressure, more bullet in case et al. I've seen it with several other bullets (i.e.190ABLR) in 300WSM.

Brian Litz:
Effects of Seating Depth / COAL on Pressure and Velocity
The primary effect of loading a cartridge long is that it leaves more internal volume inside the cartridge. This extra internal volume has a well known effect; for a given powder charge, there will be less pressure and less velocity produced because of the extra empty space. Another way to look at this is you have to use more powder to achieve the same pressure and velocity when the bullet is seated out long.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.