Not enough windage adjustment

merbeau

I have been building a load for my Browning A bolt 338 magnum and prior to finding a load was not to interested in zeroing (just looking for groups on paper).

I finally found a load that the rifle really likes but when I went to zero the rifle it took all my windage adjustment to center the shot. No problem on elevation adjustment.

I have Valdata two piece base and Warne picatinny style rings that a Bausch and Lomb 6x24x40 mm scope is mounted on the rifle with.

I read that reversing the rings may help. Currently the hex head on the screws are on the bolt side of the rifle.

Would switching the rings help? Other suggestions? First encounter with this issue.

Thanks

Robert

It should not matter what side the bolt is on. If you are out of windage there is something else very wrong. You should not be more than a minute or two from mechanical center of the scope. Good Luck

You might have to look at different bases, like the Leupold bases that have the windage adjustment on them. I needed them for my Weatherby Mark V. I just set the scope windage to center, then adjusted the windage screws on the base until it was lined up on target. Had more than enough windage adjustment in the scope at that point.

Hi

Thanks to all that replied. It looks like the Burris rings with windage adjustment may be a solution.

Robert

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.