not considering it good enough

Yes, we talked about that. he thinks the barrel is good, he noticed how straight it was

lapua brass has thick necks have you tried dropping a bullet back into a fired unsized piece of brass

Hmm, I would start over on your reloads, especially if factory ammo is shooting better. I would do this if it was me, start off with the lowest powder charge for the bullet you are trying to load for, I would load four at .010 off lands, another four at .020 off four at .030 off and another four at .050 off lands. I would clean the barrel until no Copper is present, then fire three fouling shots, wait several minutes and begin my test with the seating depth's. I would wait a minimum of one minute between shots on the four shot string and then wait a minimum of five minutes before starting the next string. Out of all that I would think you should see what your barrel likes for a jump. Take the smallest group and work from there, setup your Chrono during the test to see what the SD/ES is for each set of tests. Good luck.

Well.. stop cleaning it. That's certainly not helping. Post up all the info I asked for and we can try to help. So far, OP, your responses have not been verbose enough for anyone to provide you with any kind of real help. We all want to but you have to meet us halfway.

There ought to be some kind of guidelines for what information needs to be provided when somebody asks this kind of question.

The three basic factors are always in play when you have a problem with precision ( group size ). Rifle, ammo, and shooter have to be looked at and without the associated information for each part of the equation everybody is just spitting in the ocean.

A few things to add to a long list of possible issues. First.-- When it shoots a decent group are you letting the barrel Totally cool down before trying another group? Shoot a decent group and wait at least 30 minutes before trying again.
Second-- have somebody else shoot the rifle and see if they get the same results. Not questioning your shooting abilities but sometimes a gun just doesn't fit and it's always a good thing to eliminate possible shooter error.
Third-- have you tried loading any non boatail bullets? What were the factory ones? If it shoots those noticeably better then you probably have a crown issue.
Fourth-- get a Lee factory crimp die and try your better loads with that. sounds odd but sometimes it helps-and those factory loads were crimped.
Fourth and last--once you know your bedding is good and nothing else has worked put a little pressure on your barrel at the end of the stock like Remington used to do years ago on the 700s. most people float there barrels and I do too. Occasionally a rifle with shoot better and more consistent with a bit of pressure on the end.

Good luck and don't give up. I have always had good accuracy with imr4064 and h-380 in the 30/06. Sierra gameking 165 or 180 usually give great accuracy as well.

First, thanks to all of you, I really appreciate all this help. I do my best to give you all details and give answer to all your questions.

So about the shooter: me. With COVID not easy to find an other shooter so this hasn't been tried yet. I do reload for 30+ years. I shoot competition for 30+ years. I can shoot all day sub half MOA with my Fierce in 7RM (no brake) and a semi-custom Sako in 7SAUM. Not able to shoot consistant under 1/4 MOA but easily under 1 MOA!

The rifle was born R700 BDL, see pics. Shot the barrel out and was a 1 moa rifle.
As said in post#11 compound used for beding is 3M Devcon Alu10610. I put some on the action and some in the stock, put pins in the action screw, put action in the stock and secure it in place with tape over night. Originally beded only the action, yesterday also put Devcon under the first inch of barrel.

Shooting regiment, 1 shot every 3-4 minutes and always shoot test when it is 32 to 42 outside so barrel stay almost cold. Never wait 30min between groups.

The factory bullets are 150 Ball Tip so boattail. Non boattail I only tried Hdy 150 SP with same kind of results.

Before to shoot the factory ammo, I was questioning the rifle. Now more the reloads but two 3 shoots groups under 3/4moa is not huge to confirm if the rifle is all good. I think the next step is to shoot all the 14 factory ammo left to see if I get consistent grouping with it. If so, I will have to focus on my reloads.

Why not Mustang72, next I could try few rounds with a crimp and pressure point. And lastly do like Kmccord suggest.

Attachments

• thumbnail_IMG_4126.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4126.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 361
  • thumbnail_IMG_4128.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4128.jpg
    43.7 KB · Views: 347
  • thumbnail_IMG_4127.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4127.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 280
  • thumbnail_IMG_4129.jpg
    thumbnail_IMG_4129.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 352
Last edited:
Ah, I see your problem. The bolt is on the wrong side of the gun.

Really though I think your plan to test the rest of the factory ammo for consistancy is a good one. Narrow it down to rifle issues or ammo issues.

Bedding. Remove all bedding between the red lines. 20201205_233703.jpg

There should be no bedding in front of the recoil lug. Front meaning muzzle side.

Only the lugs back should contact the bedding. Sides & bottom of lug should not touch anything.

The 2 action screws should not touch the wood or pillars, when installed. Tighten the lug screw first with muzzle pointing up.

The Rem 40X rifles from the 70s have very little bedding.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.