not considering it good enough

Salar600

Hi guys
I have a headache. Here is the situation.
I have a blueprinted Rem700, with a 24'' 1x11 custom barrel in 30-06 spgf.
What ever I do I've got 3 shots groups from 3/8" to 2''+, when load gives a good group it is never repeatable. Most of the time it shoot at 1,25-1,50'', I do not consider it good enough for this kind of set up.
I tried 3 trusty scopes, rework the bedding twice. Use Lapua brass, tried IMR4064, H380, IMR-4350, Superform. Bullets from 150 to 185gr (Sierra, Hornady, Barnes, Berger). Tested COAL, ladder test and 3 shoots with charge incrementation.
Last night I worked on the beding and shoot again today. Accuracy was as usual. As I was just about to give up, I decided to try factory ammo, nothing fancy, Rem 150 BT. First group was 5/8'' and second 11/16''.
Am I missing something? What should I do or look at?
Thanks for your help

Seems to be a reloaded ammo problem.

How the brass is Fl sized may be an issue? What is your process?

Reads like you're over loading it..
It's an 06'...are you pressing the gas pedal to much....
Is it a thin barrel or heavy...

If you have a chronograph check a couple of those factory rounds and do the same on your best load to date; as mentioned just might be over loaded or under loaded from factory pressures.

Id try a 150 grain Sierra gameking or Berger HVLD. Had good results with both Sierra and Berger bullets. Id also look into trying a different set of dies and load up a few rounds you have tried before to see if you get better results. The 4350 powders are a good standard powder for the 06 so I would start there. I like H4350 but IMR4350 works for lots of people.

All the 30-06's I've loaded for have liked 165gr or 180gr Accubonds and RE19 powder. The other powders they liked are H4350 or RE22.
Often, it's not a bullet issue but a powder issue.
My only question is what COL are you loading to and what throat length has the chamber got?

Cheers.

About sizing, I do FL with bushing die. I tried, neck only and regular FL.

Barrel is a #3 or #4, it is .625 at 24''. I load according to book specs and velocity match data. I did notice that REM ammo was soft recoil though. I have a Chrony but did not shoot REM ammo true it. I will. I pulled the bullet on one round and powder looks like H414, I think I will try this powder to.

Reamer is regular SAAMI. I load from +.0005 (jam) ogive at 2.758'' to real short like factory at 2.638''

Do not have RL19 or RL22 but will look to find some, same for 165 and 180 AB.

One difference I can think of between my reloads and the factory ammo is the amount of carbon or absence of it in the REM cases. I think carbon reduce the grip of the case on the bullet. I played with bushing with no consistency results. Could this carbon detail makes a so big difference on accuracy? What do you think about that? I sonic cleaned a few Lapua cases to make a test.

Thanks guys

If you're messing with bedding at night and then checking in the morning I don't think you're giving it enough time to cure. I leave that kind of stuff to set up for several days before tormenting it with live fire.

My personal hypothesis is that your stock is the issue and no amount of bedding will help but, just for giggles how about posting up some pics of the complete rifle, the stock removed from the rifle with bedding shown, give some details about the bedding compound and how you applied it and then we can talk torque and tinkering and statistics and maybe help you out.

How does the crown on the muzzle look, ok? I guess a barrel issue? Of everything tried, 1 load should have grouped at least 1 inch @ 100 yards. Good Luck.

Don't know screws torque, I do not have a flat head socket.

BallistiqueGuy might be right, I know it is a bit short to bed at night and test the next afternoon. It is the first time I do that, it was like a last try before to sell the rifle. Compound is 3M Devcon Alu10610. Same product I use with success for years.

Will try to had some pictures

Who did the barrel work? Have you found the lands with the bullets you are trying? Have you cleaned the barrel at all? How many rounds are down the barrel?

I do not want to post names involved in the project but well know barrel maker and smith.
Found the lands, tried loads jam and jump.
Sometime clean after each session now tried longer string of fire.
Round count is actually 380.

Ok have you contacted the smith? That would be my first try right there. Could be a bad barrel. A good smith will make it right.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.