Nostalgia .224 Clark

HARPERC

When I was a kid the drive to my grandparents house took us past Mr. Clark's shop. In a family of non-shooters It took a bit of doing, but I finally got an uncle to take me there. A very good memory.
I promised myself to build one of these (.224 Clark) someday, and with my kids college nearly out of the way-I think someday is here!
My questions for those with experience along these lines: Which case should one build a high velocity on .22 these days? Which bullet? Mr. Clark built his own I don't, but would prefer shooting the heavier for caliber bullets. I won't hunt big game so accuracy would be the primary goal. Frangible would be good but not essential. What barrel length, contour, and twist for the bullet you would choose? Any other advice?

Sounds like a cool project! My suggestion would be something in the lines of a 22-250AI, 22-243, or a 220 Swift AI. These would post some serious velocities with heavier pills. Using a 1:8 or 1:7 twist with a Sierra, Berger or Hornady 75gr or heavier sounds like good medicine for anything. Another couple of calibers that I find neat are the 22BR and 223WSSM. The 223 WSSM can push them pretty hard. Good luck and would like to see the finished results.

Tank

Thanks, someplace here I've got a couple of pieces of paper (articles) that Mr. Clark gave me with loads and stuff. It eludes me for now, I suspect it's in the package with my old Powley slide rule ballistic calculator, but it's buried pretty good. What heavy bullets are available now that give the best results (accuracy) in .224?

You know that'd be a great writeup for Precision Shooting magazine sir--meeting the man himself and now years later the build--bet Dave Brennan there would buy that 1 in a heartbeat. Love to read about it myself.

ss coyote
Kind words thanks. You're correct there are a lot of old school teachers in/from our ranks that deserve an article or book. It would be out of my skill set to tackle such a project. Regarding Mr. Clark I have just the one fuzzy memory. The project is about respect for all the folks that got me to this point. Inclusive of the folks on this site that I steal knowledge from at every opportunity.
I hit the gun show, and shops fairly hard yesterday looking for the beginnings (action, stock etc.) failed but got a couple of ideas. I'm running through my mind the possibility of buying a new production Varmint Rifle in the Swift or .22-250 rechambering it (sort of a practice barrel) as a first step. Then ordering the "final" barrel (correct heavy bullet twist) after I gain experience with
the Clark round. Probably maintain a contour heavy enough to recut the chamber at 1500 rounds.
Another fellow from our ranks that earned a book. Al Biesen from here in Spokane. I met him at the rifle range 30 + years ago. I was at the range, just me and one older guy shooting that day. I started looking a bit closer at this fellow in bib overalls shooting one of the most lavish rifles I'd seen before or since. I wasn't as discreet as I thought, and he noticed me looking. He gets up with with the rifle, carries it down the line, and hands it (half tossed) to me like he'd known me all my life. "I thought you might like a better look" he says. Then tells me the story of the rifle: It was made as one of five for the Shah of Iran's brother. The Prince had ordered a Big Five collection, each one to focus on a specific animal. Gold, real gold, solid gold inlays! It was a .375 H&H, and I think it was the Buffalo (saw a picture of the set and may have it crossed up due to being a bit star struck) rifle anyway it had a gold medallion with whatever animal it represented on it. Then he says "It's a bit gaudy for my taste, but that's how the Arab's like em". I understand he used to work in his garage with the door open, and neighbor kids, watching and playing in the driveway before the neighborhood declined. Billionaire Jet Set Prince, or unknown kids he treated us all the same. Classy as any of the rifles he built. I hear he still around at 93 years. Goes to show somebody is always watching and we're always teaching. Pass on the good stuff it doesn't take much or long!

Last edited:
I would build a 22 BR with a seven twist barrel, good velocity, longer barrel life and extreme accuracy. Or if you want a little more velocity go with a 22 Dasher. I would use 80 grain Berger VLDS. The BR case is really efficient and accurate. Lapua 6Br brass is really good and lasts. Great velocity with a lot less powder. Matt

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.