Nosler's revolutionary creation

Is "revolutionary" the most used marketing term in the current vernacular?

Who'd of thought .0 decimal gaps and single degree changes constituted the use of the English word "revolutionary "....

You are much better off with a longer action to realize the full potential of the cartridge. I have one and will stack it up against a Win mag or PRC any day of the week.
I've written it before, but it's tough to beat a short magnum based cartridge in a Tikka. All the COAL you can handle, bruh!

And, you get a smooth cycling, exceedingly reliable and accurate action with a drop safe trigger.

IMO, Win/Browning should've updated the 7WSM instead of the 270WSM. Tons and tons of high BC .284 bullets already in production.

I've written it before, but it's tough to beat a short magnum based cartridge in a Tikka. All the COAL you can handle, bruh!

And, you get a smooth cycling, exceedingly reliable and accurate action with a drop safe trigger.

IMO, Win/Browning should've updated the 7WSM instead of the 270WSM. Tons and tons of high BC .284 bullets already in production.
You use 300 win mag magazine when you do that in a tikka? What I mean is If i wanted to do a tikka 300wsm for long heavy pointy bullets and a short 20 inch barrel, what all peices and parts do i need in addition to the new tikka 300wsm and short, custom chamber barrel ?

Is "revolutionary" the most used marketing term in the current vernacular?

Who'd of thought .0 decimal gaps and single degree changes constituted the use of the English word "revolutionary "....
Come on Man.....we have bomb storms and super pigs. In todays world literally anything can become something it just has to claim it.

I keep forgetting "revolutionary " in the American sense is a positive connotation... to my ancestors 4 generations ago "revolutionary" meant a cruel oppressive regime that reduced everyone to poverty...

Maybe I'm way off and the second meaning is what the companies are after.... I know buying components feels a little poverty inducing, and seeing 6.8 western, 360 buckhammer, and the like on the shelf instead of what I want could be sold as oppressive....

You use 300 win mag magazine when you do that in a tikka? What I mean is If i wanted to do a tikka 300wsm for long heavy pointy bullets and a short 20 inch barrel, what all peices and parts do i need in addition to the new tikka 300wsm and short, custom chamber barrel ?
Yep, long action bolt stop and whatever long action magazine is appropriate. I don't use anything with a magnum bolt face, but use long action magazines for 6.5/284 and 338/284. Also use long magazines for 7-08ai, since I have a bunch of them. Only use shorts for my Dasher, though I'm pretty sure it has a long action bolt stop since it sometimes gets a different barrel. They all feed great without issue.

Yes sir. Long bolt stop, Long action magazine and you're all set. For years the OEM 300 WSM barrels were 1:11. I had a 300 WSM 1:11 that shot the 200 ELD-X very well, but if you want to step up in wt I'd get a faster twist barrel. Due to having other 300 mags that I like, I made the Tikka 300 WSM into a 6.5 PRC for something different.

I read somewhere that the latest Tikka .308 calibers are coming 1:10, but other than the 300 WM, which has been coming 1:10 for a few years, I haven't confirmed it.

One thing I'd add for a short mag build on a Tikka is that the Hells Canyon mags have a shoulder stop for short magnum cartridges, which is a nice feature over OEM mags.

Last edited:
Yes sir. Long bolt stop, Long action magazine and you're all set. For years the OEM 300 WSM barrels were 1:11. I had a 300 WSM 1:11 that shot the 200 ELD-X very well, but if you want to step up in wt I'd get a faster twist barrel. Due to having other 300 mags that I like, I made the Tikka 300 WSM into a 6.5 PRC for something different.

I read somewhere that the latest Tikka .308 calibers are coming 1:10, but other than the 300 WM, which has been coming 1:10 for a few years, I haven't confirmed it.

One thing I'd add for a short mag build on a Tikka is that the Hells Canyon mags have a shoulder stop for short magnum cartridges, which is a nice feature over OEM mags.
I was blown away when I seen Browning offers .300 Win Mags in 1:8

I was blown away when I seen Browning offers .300 Win Mags in 1:8
It's interesting- one of the biggest advantages of newer cartridges is appropriate twist for modern bullets. With classics being made with fast twists in factory offerings, that advantage disappears somewhat. Factory ammo is another question though. Will they offer ammunition that won't stabilize in the vast majority of existing rifles and count on the consumer to understand and buy the correct ammo?

It's interesting- one of the biggest advantages of newer cartridges is appropriate twist for modern bullets. With classics being made with fast twists in factory offerings, that advantage disappears somewhat. Factory ammo is another question though. Will they offer ammunition that won't stabilize in the vast majority of existing rifles and count on the consumer to understand and buy the correct ammo?
Hornady only offers a 200 grain ELD in the .300 Win Mag. Would be nice to see the 220.

Choice Ammunition has the .300 Win Mag with a 220 Matchking at 2820. They offer the 7mm Rem Mag with a 195 Berger EOL.

But that is "Boutique" and not what I call factory.

I see the bigger issue with traditional cartridges being enough COAL. IME, traditional loadings will usually do fine in faster twists.

Last edited: