Nosler's New Bullets

Ian M

Nosler\'s New Bullets

Long Rangers,
Got the press kit from Nosler today, has some interesting new bullets. Big news might be the forementioned bonded ballistic tips, they will have white plastic tips (boxes of 50) and initially come out as follows:
New AccuBond Bullets
Cal. Wt. BC
270 140 .496
7mm 160 .531
.30 200 .588
.338 225 .550
.375 260 .473

They lean toward the heavier weights, might be intended for the necked-down pop-bottle type cases that many guys on this forum use or wish for
wink.gif
These new bullets use gilding metal jackets rather than pure copper, said to foul barrels less.

Also have a new LR .22 match bullet in 77 grains (BC= .340) and packaging their match bullets in 100's and 250's (thought that they did that last year).

.270 fans get two new bullets, a 150 grain Ballistic Silvertip from Combined Technologies and a 140 grain Partition.
I have never been a fan of this caliber, seems it is an "06 set on wound" but everyone to their own choices.

Interesting note that they are touting their renamed match bullets - custom competition alias J4 Competition - will have "commonality with other match bullets" so that we should be close using loads for other brands. Not sure that works from our shooting experience but maybe it will from today forward...

Now we just have to find out what is coming in RED boxes. Lee Reed started something when he brought out the sexy looking plastic tipped boat-tailed bonded spitzers with his Sciroccos, now everyone wants to play that game.
Stay tuned.

Re: Nosler\'s New Bullets

This is good news. I'm going to have to give that 200 a try and see how it shoots.

I think you're right that they are going after the big magnum crowd with the heavier weights. A lot of us choose not to use the Sciroccos because we wanted heavier bullets.

It'll be interesting to see what Hornady does with the bonded SST as well.

S1,

Goes to show they don't log our calls.

So far I have seen nothing wrong with the cannelure on the 165 SST. It is so far forward that it is not near the necks in any of my cases. I doubt any SAAMI or match chambered 30 cal is going to need to seat the SST that deep. Chances are it is designed to reduce expansion and increase weight retention.

I have found it to fly very flat and is longer then the 168AMax. I thought this was just a rebadged amax but it is a completely new design.

Out of my 30-06 with a muzzle vel of 2725fps, the amount of elevation to go 1000yds is 28MOA. The 165 interlock BTSP at the same vel needs 44MOA. Go figure. What value do you get for a BC?

As to accuracy, the SST is capable of shooting in the .1MOA and has done so in my 308, 30 Gibbs, and 300Wby at 250yds. I hope this accuracy is consistent through different lots. Will soon find out...ran out of the others.

Would love to get some feedback on the 180SST to see how these compare.

Overall, for a hunting/match bullet, I am really impressed with these 165 SST. If they come out with a bonded core version of equal accuracy, look out.

Hey Ian M, what have you heard...

Jerry

Last time I chatted with Hornady, the customer service guy indicated nothing was on the drawing board for a heavier Amax in 30 cal. Seems most of their efforts were being placed with the SST in the various calibres.

If we all send emails or make phone calls, attention may again be placed on the Amax family - nothing new there in a few years. A heavy SST would be a great alternative.

Jerry

S1, I think you nailed it when you said "Close to mid-range work." What many here probably consider "mid-range" is still "long range" to me (600 yds plus or minus).

I was all ready to take a deer out to 500 or 600 this year but ended up getting him at 15 yds. For that I've always liked a bullet that will hold together. The way I hunt I never know what the range will end up being.

And with the limited amount of time I have for hunting, I don't always have the luxury of passing up a shot because of a poor angle so I like to know I'll have the penetration if I need it.

I would be worried about most old-style bonded bullets not openning up at long range not only because they are designed to be super tough but most of them have really low BC's and will shed their velocity quickly. But I don't think that applies to these plastic-tipped wonders. Swift says the Scirocco will expand down to 1400 fps or so. It will be a long time before I have the skills to shoot anything that far away.

But I do agree that for true long range stuff bonding probably isn't desired.

Surprised to hear about the AMax not opening up. That would have been my first choice for a really LR slow vel. bullet. Maybe too slow at impact?

The SST for me will be used as a medium range bullet. From my '06, most shots are going to be inside 500yds and possibly on Moose. The extra weight retention will be good.

From my 30 Gibbs, the ranges will be inside 900yds with most in the 500yds range. Since this will be used on moose, black bear and large mulies, I am happy about the stronger construction.

As long as impact vel is in the 1500fps range, I would expect good expansion and penetration. Have you considered the Nosler BT?

The general public wants super fast magnums so the premium bullet was created. Now we have such wonderfully tough bullet that long range performance is suffering.

I am going to 3000fps type cases so that good quality conventional bullets will stay together at short range and still expand at long. This thing about flat trajectory is of no interest as I will adjust for drop anyways.

That is why my 30-06 is one of my favorite hunting cartridges. Womps them up close and 700yds away. The Gibbs is more specialized for situations where shots go from 200yds out. That pretty much covers the walking type of hunting rifle. My WBY and RUM are table top guns for the real long stuff.

From what I am sensing in the shooting media, it will not be long before there will be swing back to "standard" or "classic" cartridges. The short magnums will have their day but the need for the super duper magnums will fade from the mainstream press.

Could you imagine hearing the benefits of cartridges like the 7X57, 270win, or the good old '06. Probably renewed interest in improved cartridges too.

Enjoy...

Jerry

PS let's all keep pressing Hornady for some 30 cal heavies.

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.