Nosler/Winchester 140gr Failsafe

They are tough. When I hunted Rusa in PNG one of the outfits wouldn't let hunters use them at all. They claimed that they lost too many deer with them because of pass throughs without expanding. They also got a bad wrap here in NZ for the same reason.I wouldn't use them on light framed deer.

Qualifier: Never used them myself though.

I believe it was due to overpenetration, even if there is such a thing, and the bullets would exit travelling some distance hitting and killing other hunters.

Cheers.

The Winchester Ammunition ( Olin Corp.) Fail Safe's were a gilding metal bullet made by Nosler with a steel encased lead shank, they were replaced, with the XP3 that had a bonded lead shank, gilding metal front and a plastic tip. This was done due to manufacturing costs and a relatively low B.C. of the Fail Safe.
No one was killed and Winchester (Olin Corp.) was never sued from a Fail Safe passing through an animal and hitting them.
Olin Corp. was sued over their Black Talon handgun ammo and did rename and redesign it. At that time the rifle ammo loaded with the Fail safe bullets was called Black Talon. That name was removed.

Have been shooting 230 FS in 330 Dakota for over 30 yrs; it's the only bullet I load for that rifle due to accuracy...MOA. Performance on elk/moose/buffalo/bear has been excellent, though I have shot a couple of deer...have only ever recovered one bullet. Have used on multiple Africa trips taking dozens of animals with same result, excellent one shot results to include finishing wounded buf. This was Don Allen's, Dakota Rifles, favorite 330 bullet with which he took several buff. Way more bullet than most North American game need. .338 230 gr FS shoot great in my rifle and perform exception well, so I use them.
That said, have never take game with FS beyond 200 yds...shot mentioned on Dugga Boy was devastating; passed through offside should as bull quarter away...DRT

The first rifle I bought was a .300 WinMag, along with a couple boxes of FailSafes. The rifle shot them well, but shot a few whitetail with them with horrible results. As in no expansion on behind the shoulder shots. Obviously not the best bullets for that job, what did I know at that age?! I would only use these on the biggest of game, if at all.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.