Nosler vs. Norma Brass - 270wsm

Full Curl

I know this subject has been discussed on here many times before but I had a quick question. If I have a load developed with Nosler brass, can I assume that the load will be pretty much the same in Norma cases all else being equal? My Nosler cases are getting close to their lifespans and I'm going to have to replace them. Nosler 270wsm brass is crazy high priced. The Norma isn't great either, but better. I just don't want to have to start over with load development.

I know Norma makes the Nosler brass so was hoping they are interchangeable or at least close.

Thanks.

I've used both makes of brass, although in other calibers. I've always found the Norma brass to be of very high quality, at the very least as good as Nosler. I read that Norma makes brass for Nosler, but not for all calibers. As for your case, I would reduce my load and work back up, just as I would for any other component change.Generally if you weigh your cases and they are heaver that your old lot this normally means less case capacity and more pressure with the same load as you had with the old lot of brass. The reverse also normally applies.

Cape Cove gave you some good advise. Start over and work up the load. I have heard that Norma made Nosler brass but I don't know that for a fact. In fact I have 280 Rem brass from Norma and Nosler and they are not even close to being the same. I have measured the capacity of both and they are different. I would say never assume that they are the same. I love Norma brass for the WSM calibers, but they have less capacity that either Winchester, Federal, or Remington. On the other hand I shoot Norma 270 Win brass and it has more capacity that either Remington or Winchester.

I know this subject has been discussed on here many times before but I had a quick question. If I have a load developed with Nosler brass, can I assume that the load will be pretty much the same in Norma cases all else being equal? My Nosler cases are getting close to their lifespans and I'm going to have to replace them. Nosler 270wsm brass is crazy high priced. The Norma isn't great either, but better. I just don't want to have to start over with load development.

I know Norma makes the Nosler brass so was hoping they are interchangeable or at least close.

Thanks.

At one time Federal Made the Nosler brass But If Norma is making it now, an easy way to check it is to size one of you older cases and do the same to one of the new cases, trim both to the same length and simply weigh each case and/or volume test them. If they are the same, your load should be good. If they are not, then do as recommended by other posters an start low and work up.

If case volume is the same, but accuracy or velocity have changed, you may have to look at neck tension differences and adjust the new cases.

J E CUSTOM

Thanks for the good feedback guys. Now I just wish I had more Nosler brass I could use so I don't have to rework the load :) Hopefully it'll be close... I should be good for this hunting season. Maybe a good winter project. Thanks again.

Seems that Norma and Nosler are definitely interrelated to some extent, I'm not sure anybody knows exactly to what extent however.

I just bought some 7 Rum nosler brass and in the box of 25 pcs there was one with a Norma headstamp on it.

Interesting !!!
I would recommend doing a volume/weight check on the two head stamped pieces of brass to see if they were the same.

If they have different head stamps, chances are that they are of different batches and have different volumes that could effect the consistency of your loads.

I have seen boxes of factory ammo with different primers in them, but I have never seen different head stamps on boxes of new brass.

Just a recommendation

J E CUSTOM

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.