Nosler RDF

What matters most to me is the honesty of the manufacturer and terminal performance.

Controlled, consistent expansion at a wide range of impact velocities with reliable accuracy is what I'm most concerned with.

This reflects the part that I think is not reasonable from our consumer perspective- and to be sure, I'm not arguing personally, but rather on the representation that this is the general perspective for the purpose of debate.

The manufacturer does not benefit from 'honesty' in this particular case, because the consumer is much too fickle to even begin to determine what that honesty is actually represented by. Accurate BC? Mixing production lots? Using worn dies? In practice, none of these factors matter because none can be measured in a quantifiable way. Nature of the activity. The state of the art is that some lots shoot and occasional lots are abysmally poor. The why behind the fact is irrelevant by the time the data is available because the production process has changed. Even then, most folks determine performance as a function of price tag first. Not all, but most.

After that, the physical properties of the metal do play a big part in performance. A hard material will not expand well at low velocity, a soft material will not hang together well at high velocity. Expansion is dynamic in nature as a fundamental and the whole concept of 'controlled consistent expansion' is nothing more than a marketing phrase that doesn't really describe at all what happens, but sounds nice and sells bullets as well as a high BC number does.

Brian Litz ran the numbers long ago, and the folks who can actually benefit from .05 points on a G7 are quite few and far between, so why even worry that a manufacturers number may be off by 5%?

This reflects the part that I think is not reasonable from our consumer perspective- and to be sure, I'm not arguing personally, but rather on the representation that this is the general perspective for the purpose of debate.

The manufacturer does not benefit from 'honesty' in this particular case, because the consumer is much too fickle to even begin to determine what that honesty is actually represented by. Accurate BC? Mixing production lots? Using worn dies? In practice, none of these factors matter because none can be measured in a quantifiable way. Nature of the activity. The state of the art is that some lots shoot and occasional lots are abysmally poor. The why behind the fact is irrelevant by the time the data is available because the production process has changed. Even then, most folks determine performance as a function of price tag first. Not all, but most.

After that, the physical properties of the metal do play a big part in performance. A hard material will not expand well at low velocity, a soft material will not hang together well at high velocity. Expansion is dynamic in nature as a fundamental and the whole concept of 'controlled consistent expansion' is nothing more than a marketing phrase that doesn't really describe at all what happens, but sounds nice and sells bullets as well as a high BC number does.

Brian Litz ran the numbers long ago, and the folks who can actually benefit from .05 points on a G7 are quite few and far between, so why even worry that a manufacturers number may be off by 5%?
I have to disagree. Overly hyping a product may be beneficial initially but when it doesn't live up to the promises things can crash pretty fast.

As for controlled expansion, several companies have proven it's achievable with tapered jackets and bonding the lead to the jacket.

Even in the monometals it's working with proper construction, choice of materials and tips that open up on contact.

No, there are no perfect bullets that perform the same way at any velocity every time but we're getting closer and closer largely I think because of a demanding customer base that grows year by year.

I can understand how the overhyped marketing would have a flash in the pan effect. When Hornady put out the 208 Amax, from what I remember, it was ahead of its time. If I recall, they may have underestimated it's actual BC, and as a result, it was never the hit it could have been. I've used it in the 30s for a while, and it's still my go to- even out of the 308w it has excellent performance across the board, and I've always found them available.

I can understand how the overhyped marketing would have a flash in the pan effect. When Hornady put out the 208 Amax, from what I remember, it was ahead of its time. If I recall, they may have underestimated it's actual BC, and as a result, it was never the hit it could have been. I've used it in the 30s for a while, and it's still my go to- even out of the 308w it has excellent performance across the board, and I've always found them available.
The 208 Amax is one of the most successful bullets ever produced for both hunters and competition shooters.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts