Nosler partitions and ABLR

Bigcountry94

I thought I would post about bullet performance on elk to help some one try to decide I know all situations are different and it's been talked about a lot so

I had gotten on some elk and I had a older 7 mag with ABLR 175gr hand loads I had bulls all around me first day screaming and I finaly found a really nice bull in a group of 300 and he ended up getting 50 yards from me broad side shot right behind the shoulder he stumbled and lied down and got back up still walking around about 100 yards it's chaotic the elk didn't know what to do so I thought bullet must have blew up pulled up to shoot again and I saw a exit hole on the off side barely bleeding so I shoot again and I hit shoulder he walked around and laid down again and stayed for 5 minutes and I was waiting and he got up again and I shot and missed cause when he got up he started running like there was nothing wrong with him looked till 1 in the morning for him and all the next day all the elk are still in the same spot we tried to track him and there wasn't a single spot of blood anywhere we walked and found the heard again and he was in the group but this time they didn't stick around to see what I wanted he was running like nothing was wrong with him at all he was even still bugling so I don't understand that it might be un ethical but I need the meat to feed my family so I set out again and I missed 4 different cows out of a different heard from 100 yards to 300 yards and didn't hit one of them I fought the urge to throw my rifle in the trees . The next day My buddy was shooting a 270 shooting 150 gr partition found a different heard and he took a shot at 300 yards at a cow it was a hit I found out later but I watched her and she kinda wobbled after a while and then turned broadside to follow the group and He put another in her and she tipped over. Later as I was skinning her I found a piece of bullet from his 270 it was the lead from the back of the partition but it still killed her.

I'm no stranger to long range bullets I shoot burgers at deer and they do okay not like the commercial say so I understand that long range bullets should explode at close range but it's like one didn't and one did to much don't get it

My brother in law had the same experience with a medium size deer with 210 ablr 300wm. Where the bullet blew up. No exit. Couldn't find but the jacket in the neck of the deer. Shoulder shot at 90 yards. Dropped the deer, but that was crazy. No exit with that much energy and that weigh. He used 200 partition on a black bear at 50 yards good exit but not needed because the bear just dropped.

For our upcoming Montana elk/deer combo, he's using 210 vld target for long range shot but will have a 200g partition in the chamber first for anything inside 200yrds.

I'll be running Berger 230 hybrids in the 30 for elk and 156 for 6.5 PRC for deer. However, I will have 208 lrx and 140 partitions loaded first, for anything that's inside 200 yards. I was going to use hammer hunters but the point of impact for the 208lrx and 230 hybrids were 1 inch or less apart at 200 yards vs 4 inches for the hammers. The Berger's are less than 1/2 moa for both of my guns. I just love the high bc on both. Should not matter, but we'll see how that goes.

Last edited:
I typically run bergers in my 6.5 saum and 300prc I tried 129 ablr this year in my 260 for an antelope hunt 470m broadside shot The bullet passed through But it exploded inside, left (what I suspect is most if not all) of the jacket inside. Both lungs were torn to shreds and there was jacket almost as high as the spine. Given the distance, the internal damage, blood shot and size of the animal I won't be running them again

Well what I have noticed is long range bullets do what they usually are supposed to do typically but I just shot a nice size rutting mule deer 2 days ago with my 6.5 creedmoor running shot quarrying away from me at 50 yards and it make a complete pass through witch is odd never hit shoulder but this is the 7th deer I have shot with this rifle and I am shooting 130 gr vld hunting at 2850fps and most of the time it goes in and shreds vitals and does not come out but this one made a whole pass through and acted sorta like a partition and I have never ever had a burger do what the commercial says I have never had a bang flop on anything but I keep using them cause they kill fairly well I have even hit part of shoulder the only thing I don't like is the blood shot meat the partitions have significantly less blood shot because of a more solid construction….

have you guys had any luck on barns lrx on elk in any caliber I used 180 ttsx on a cow elk in 300 win at 200 yards and it was excellent but I was wondering how lrx was for long range targets and animals and short range how well they hold up? I have a 260 AI that I might try them on but I will be target shooting around 1000 yards and hunt with it

have you guys had any luck on barns lrx on elk in any caliber I used 180 ttsx on a cow elk in 300 win at 200 yards and it was excellent but I was wondering how lrx was for long range targets and animals and short range how well they hold up? I have a 260 AI that I might try them on but I will be target shooting around 1000 yards and hunt with it
I've run them on large game in big 30 cal magnums and they worked fantastic

My hesitation on a longer range target is that the closer you get to the minimum velocity threshold for the bullet to fully expand, the more frontal deformation you loose. This will result in smaller wound channel as velocity drops to eventually the bullet pin holing through when it can't open properly at the lower velocity.

Outside of those concerns and the lower performance/ballistic coefficient, they work very well where I have chosen to use them

Like anything, right tool for right job

I've had nothing but good results using the berger 168 gr hvld out of my 7mm rem mag. Only animal that I've ever had take a step after being hit was my antelope this year. It was also my closest shot so far with these bullets (330 yards) so I purposely put the bullet through his shoulder hoping it would do what bergers do but instead it left an exit hole that I could fit my hand in about 8 inches back from where the bullet entered. He ran 20 yards and piled up but I thought it was odd. Never had an exit with the bergers before

I think the long range bullets are appealing and accurate but it seams to me that they cause excessive damage and like I said the only bang flop that I have had was with a 180 gr ttsx out of a 300 win mag at 200 yards on 2 different elk