Nosler or Bergara problems

I'd say it's the ammo. I bought some Nosler ammo a few years ago for my son's 243 and had the same issue. He had fired lots of different hand loads and different factory loads (Winchester, Federal, Remington) and none of those were hard to chamber or showed pressure signs. We just pulled them apart and reused the components (except the powder).

Hi all I recently purchased a bergara b14 chambered in 28 nosler. Picked up 2 boxes (20 rounds each) of Nosler ammo loaded with 150 grain etips as it was all I could find in stock and took the first few shots with the rifle today. I shot a total of 5 shots and all 5 took some effort to chamber and all spent cases are showing ejector marks on them. Not super pronounced but just enough that I can feel them with my thumbnail. Not sure how serious that is as I'm new to this. When I got home I cycled all of the ammo through my gun and sorted it into 4 groups with the no. 1 group cycling as if on an empty chamber and the no. 4 group requiring significant effort to cycle with a few rounds being stiff enough that I didn't want to try to close the bolt. The grouping is as follows: Box 1, Group 1= 1 round, B1G2= 1 round, B1G3= 2 rounds, B1G4= 11 rounds. Box 2, Group 1= 2 rounds, B2G2= 6 rounds, B2G3= 5 rounds, B2G4=7 rounds. Now that I've somewhat explained the anecdotal information I have, what should be my next step moving forward? Also how concerned should I be with the ejector marks that I'm seeing? The primers are slightly flattened with almost non-existent cratering. Do you think that the chamber is tight or is nosler perhaps having serious issues with consistency right now? It seems to me that nosler is having problems due to the wide variation in "chambering feel" that I'm having. Thanks for any input! Side note, the first shot that I fired appeared to have a split case neck, however upon examination the case neck was not split but folded over and crimped for lack of a better term.
I'm dealing with exact same issue with Bergara 6.5 PRC and Nosler Premium brass. Nosler is now making their own brass. It doesn't matter what load I use from mild to max I get extractor pin indents and bolt swipes and heavy bolt lift. I've contacted Nosler and finally got them to agree to look at the brass and see if isn't to soft. Just do a Google search for Nosler brass reviews and you'll see exact same thing over and over we're dealing with. I can use same gun with Hornady and Peterson brass and it doesn't do it. Trying shooting another brand of ammo and see if you get same thing.
Good luck.

Nosler brass is very suspect.I bought some of their good prepped 308 that did not go into my 308Win Chamber.Also had problems with Bergara rifles.I think both companies have big QC problems and will avoid dealing with either.Now that does not include Nosler bullets

Bergara tolerances are "overly" tight in my opinion. I have a premier series (B18 mtn?) and brand new, out of the box, ejection issues. Great customer service though. In a deep drive to find the issue, I saw a little sliver of brass got tied up in the ejector. They sent me a new bolt head. Has worked fine ever since I cleared the culprit and now have an extra bolt head.
Being said, I do think least in my case, I was the issue. The rifle is chambered in 308 and thinking back, I did shoot a few 51s out of it. Likely that's what caused the issue. I now only shoot chrome cased 308 (no brass) and runs perfectly fine.

Hi all I recently purchased a bergara b14 chambered in 28 nosler. Picked up 2 boxes (20 rounds each) of Nosler ammo loaded with 150 grain etips as it was all I could find in stock and took the first few shots with the rifle today. I shot a total of 5 shots and all 5 took some effort to chamber and all spent cases are showing ejector marks on them. Not super pronounced but just enough that I can feel them with my thumbnail. Not sure how serious that is as I'm new to this. When I got home I cycled all of the ammo through my gun and sorted it into 4 groups with the no. 1 group cycling as if on an empty chamber and the no. 4 group requiring significant effort to cycle with a few rounds being stiff enough that I didn't want to try to close the bolt. The grouping is as follows: Box 1, Group 1= 1 round, B1G2= 1 round, B1G3= 2 rounds, B1G4= 11 rounds. Box 2, Group 1= 2 rounds, B2G2= 6 rounds, B2G3= 5 rounds, B2G4=7 rounds. Now that I've somewhat explained the anecdotal information I have, what should be my next step moving forward? Also how concerned should I be with the ejector marks that I'm seeing? The primers are slightly flattened with almost non-existent cratering. Do you think that the chamber is tight or is nosler perhaps having serious issues with consistency right now? It seems to me that nosler is having problems due to the wide variation in "chambering feel" that I'm having. Thanks for any input! Side note, the first shot that I fired appeared to have a split case neck, however upon examination the case neck was not split but folded over and crimped for lack of a better term.
First I'd try a different brand of ammo..If it still persists I'd contact Bergara..Show the ammo photos as well.
I bet they will send you a new one .They have great service as well as a LIFETIME i guarantee/warranty .
Let us know what transpires if you would.
GOOD LUCK

Friend of mine just bought a new Bergara in 300 Win mag. Had the same problem. Factory ammo from different companies wouldn't chamber. He had to send the rifle back to Bergara for warranty work. No way he will have it back in time for hunting season. Sounds to me like Bergara is having some quality control issues.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the rifle/load. I work directly for Bergara. Feel free to DM me with your contact info and I'll get one of our technical reps to contact you on Monday and help trouble shoot the issue. Thanks, Nate T.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the rifle/load combo. I work directly foe Bergara. Feel free to DM me with your contact info and I'll have one of our technical reps contact you on Monday to help trouble shoot the situation. Thanks, Nate T.

That primer in pic is fine. The fact some rounds fit and some dont makes me think its a ammo issue. That 28 Nosler brass is made by Peterson. So it good brass, usually. Theres got to be a lot # on that ammo, ask Nosler where it is and if theres been any issues. Contact Bergara also, if theres no known issues try a different ammo, still a problem send to back under warranty.
Bergara 99% of the time has great customer service.

Last edited:
Once I started reloading, I have not used a factory round on big game. And I only buy factory loaded stuff to obtain the brass. I once found a 7MM bullet loaded in a 300 win mag case - Remington factory box. Although I know there are factory rounds that probably rival my best handloads, I trust my handloads and the components I use.