Nosler or Bergara problems

Hi all I recently purchased a bergara b14 chambered in 28 nosler. Picked up 2 boxes (20 rounds each) of Nosler ammo loaded with 150 grain etips as it was all I could find in stock and took the first few shots with the rifle today. I shot a total of 5 shots and all 5 took some effort to chamber and all spent cases are showing ejector marks on them. Not super pronounced but just enough that I can feel them with my thumbnail. Not sure how serious that is as I'm new to this. When I got home I cycled all of the ammo through my gun and sorted it into 4 groups with the no. 1 group cycling as if on an empty chamber and the no. 4 group requiring significant effort to cycle with a few rounds being stiff enough that I didn't want to try to close the bolt. The grouping is as follows: Box 1, Group 1= 1 round, B1G2= 1 round, B1G3= 2 rounds, B1G4= 11 rounds. Box 2, Group 1= 2 rounds, B2G2= 6 rounds, B2G3= 5 rounds, B2G4=7 rounds. Now that I've somewhat explained the anecdotal information I have, what should be my next step moving forward? Also how concerned should I be with the ejector marks that I'm seeing? The primers are slightly flattened with almost non-existent cratering. Do you think that the chamber is tight or is nosler perhaps having serious issues with consistency right now? It seems to me that nosler is having problems due to the wide variation in "chambering feel" that I'm having. Thanks for any input! Side note, the first shot that I fired appeared to have a split case neck, however upon examination the case neck was not split but folded over and crimped for lack of a better term.
Chamber issue.

If you have a set of Hornady bullet comparator gages & case comparator gages you can check BTO on bullets and see if there is a big difference and if bullets may be "jamming" into rifling AND if rounds that load tighter are LONGER from case head to shoulder than ones that chamber easier……if you have a minimum spec chamber, the second scenario makes absolute sense to me…..
On a similar note to the different powder/large velocity variation in factory ammo, I've been working with a 6.5 PRC Browning LR Xbolt a friend just acquired.
Accuracy with the 143 ELDX has not been stellar (1/2" groups to 3" groups) and some of that is due to about .020 BTO variation and about 120 FPS velocity variation. I have not been able to compare apples to apples because I can't find any 143 ELDX's to hand load but a couple of other bullets I have tried have had SD's around 12 FPS and consistent accuracy around well under 1"

If you are going to hand load the 28, see if you can get a couple of pounds of RE33 to start with. I have 2 Fierce brand rifles that LOVE the RE33 with lots of different styles & weights of bullets.
I know I won't get love on this post from all the guys shooting temp stable powders from Hodgdon in their 28's, but for me the RE33 has given top velocities, lowest ES's and best accuracy in both of these rifles I have

Sometimes I hate my speaker on my phone it does not spit out what I want Tried to say send it back and have them take a look at that rifle you didn't pay all that money to have to start doing work on it load work on it only to find out there is something wrong

Last few lots of Nosler ammo I shot through my 308 was terrible, 1.5-2" "groups" (more like shotgun pattern, gun shoots fed gold medal ~.75"), pretty inconstant velocity and some erratic pressure signs on the brass. This was all bought pre-panic back in 2019 or so.

I'm not sure why everyone seems to think this is a rifle issue 🤷‍♂️

Ejector marks with lack of flattened primers on a new gun makes me think the chamber might have just a slight amount of oil/solvent in it, especially if you cleaned it before the first shots.

ETA: as others have suggested, get a headspace comparator and measure the unfired ammo, I'd also measure the headspace on the fired cases and compare to the unfired cases that wouldn't chamber and see if they are longer or not.

Last edited:
Before I'd send rifle back I'd try a different manufacturers ammo. If problem goes away then I'd start measuring ammo that cycles vs those that don't.

Hi all I recently purchased a bergara b14 chambered in 28 nosler. Picked up 2 boxes (20 rounds each) of Nosler ammo loaded with 150 grain etips as it was all I could find in stock and took the first few shots with the rifle today. I shot a total of 5 shots and all 5 took some effort to chamber and all spent cases are showing ejector marks on them. Not super pronounced but just enough that I can feel them with my thumbnail. Not sure how serious that is as I'm new to this. When I got home I cycled all of the ammo through my gun and sorted it into 4 groups with the no. 1 group cycling as if on an empty chamber and the no. 4 group requiring significant effort to cycle with a few rounds being stiff enough that I didn't want to try to close the bolt. The grouping is as follows: Box 1, Group 1= 1 round, B1G2= 1 round, B1G3= 2 rounds, B1G4= 11 rounds. Box 2, Group 1= 2 rounds, B2G2= 6 rounds, B2G3= 5 rounds, B2G4=7 rounds. Now that I've somewhat explained the anecdotal information I have, what should be my next step moving forward? Also how concerned should I be with the ejector marks that I'm seeing? The primers are slightly flattened with almost non-existent cratering. Do you think that the chamber is tight or is nosler perhaps having serious issues with consistency right now? It seems to me that nosler is having problems due to the wide variation in "chambering feel" that I'm having. Thanks for any input! Side note, the first shot that I fired appeared to have a split case neck, however upon examination the case neck was not split but folded over and crimped for lack of a better term.
I would check sami dimensions vs the ammo. I'm guessing this is 100% an ammo quality control problem but there is an outside chance its the rifle. You'll know after checking sami.

I've had some issues with 28 Nosler ammo having crushed shoulders and failing to chamber. I if I were you I'd take some measurements and call Nosler. They told me they'd replace it, but I decided it wasn't likely worth my effort. I'd just pull the bullets and powder and resize the cases.

I'd bet it's a nosler problem seen same issue on a family members rifle using nosler
I've had some issues with 28 Nosler ammo having crushed shoulders and failing to chamber. I if I were you I'd take some measurements and call Nosler. They told me they'd replace it, but I decided it wasn't likely worth my effort. I'd just pull the bullets and powder and resize the cases.

I'd bet it's a nosler problem. Family members rifle had same issues with nosler different rifle brand.

I've had lots of "production" 28 noslers. It has been a common problem for me with a lot of them. I think the reamers and ammo are not matching up. I'm probably going to put the blame on the ammo