Nosler New #9 Manual - A Bit Disappointing!

Mine has been sitting in a Missouri post office for 5 days now. No rush as it sounds disappointing. Sierra is my favorite. It provides some new rounds and powders. A better selection than others for the 46 yrs since I started handloading. I heard Berger's book is disappointing also so I didn't bother. I have Norma, hornady, Sierra, nosler, Speer, lee, lyman, accurate, and some others.
I have most of what you have in reloading manuals. I just got a new round of reloading manuals in the last few months. Disappointed in most of them, except Sierra newest manual. They by far are the most updated cartridge in their manual. I have and original Sierra manual, which I check against the new manuals. You will find changes in loading data. Some manuals are and Sierra has changed twist rates on the barrels they are using. Hornady does show that some of their bullets won't stabilize in different twist rate barrels. Which is more than fair or to my liking. I shot a 220 swift in a 1-14 twist. Sierra now only shows 1-12 twist rate barrels. They have slowed down their 55gr bullets by about 300fps. The moral of the story is don't throw out your old manuals out ever. The biggest problem I have is a new cartridge comes out. They compare their cartridge with a 26" barrel to another in the same caliber in a 24" or less barrel, stating how much faster there velocity. You really check into it, you will find they are almost the same.

Along with some more obscure cartridges, they dropped both the .284 Winchester and the .358 Winchester.
The .358 Winchester! Even though they make one of the best bullets in the world for it (225 Partition). Come on, Man! Who says you have to drop cartridges to add cartridges?
They took a pass on evaluating some real game changing cartridge/powder combinations, such as PP 2000-MR in the .35 Whelen or RL-26 in the .270 Win (or RL-26 in lots of other cartridges, for that matter, but the .270 is one of the real standouts with 150 gr.).
Haven't seen much at all of Superformance or the Enduron Line-up. There's been plenty of time since the last manual was published to test these.
There's a burn rate chart up front that is not only poorly formatted, but shows H4350 as a slower powder than IMR4831 even though every example I found in the book that lists both H4350 and IMR4831 for a given cartridge/bullet combo shows IMR4831 as the slower of the two.

Overall I am happy to have it because I can afford it and maybe I will find something useful in it, but I am glad I still have their older manuals, to reference those rounds they dropped in this one.

Merry Christmas,
Rex

Along with some more obscure cartridges, they dropped both the .284 Winchester and the .358 Winchester.
The .358 Winchester! Even though they make one of the best bullets in the world for it (225 Partition). Come on, Man! Who says you have to drop cartridges to add cartridges?
They took a pass on evaluating some real game changing cartridge/powder combinations, such as PP 2000-MR in the .35 Whelen or RL-26 in the .270 Win (or RL-26 in lots of other cartridges, for that matter, but the .270 is one of the real standouts with 150 gr.).
Haven't seen much at all of Superformance or the Enduron Line-up. There's been plenty of time since the last manual was published to test these.
There's a burn rate chart up front that is not only poorly formatted, but shows H4350 as a slower powder than IMR4831 even though every example I found in the book that lists both H4350 and IMR4831 for a given cartridge/bullet combo shows IMR4831 as the slower of the two.

Overall I am happy to have it because I can afford it and maybe I will find something useful in it, but I am glad I still have their older manuals, to reference those rounds they dropped in this one.

Merry Christmas,
Rex
I noted the use of H4350 and H4831 and the mix. I didn't stead it much, you brought it to light. H4350 is one of my go to powders.

Merry Christmas,
Rex
Glad mine never got here. Midway refunded me. Funny, I'm in the middle of a 284 build so even more glad it didn't show up

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.