Nosler Model 21 in 6.5 PRC can't seat to lands. Freebore issue?

Elknut

Hello,

Just started reloading for my M21 6.5 PRC. It has a Shilen Barrel and Mack EVO action.

It seems I can seat to the lands and cycle from the mag. SAMMI COAL is 2.955". Longest I can cycle from the Mag is about 2.975"+/-.

Problem is this puts 156 gr EOL Bergers .060" off the lands and 153gr A-Tips .100" off the lands. I typically like .015" to .050"

In order to get to the lands the COAL is a little over 3.0". These fit in the Mag but won't cycle smoothly.

Is this due to a long Freebore or something else? If I spend the money to put an extended Mag in will it resolve this or will the action be a limiting factor?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you,

Hello,

Just started reloading for my M21 6.5 PRC. It has a Shilen Barrel and Mack EVO action.

It seems I can seat to the lands and cycle from the mag. SAMMI COAL is 2.955". Longest I can cycle from the Mag is about 2.975"+/-.

Problem is this puts 156 gr EOL Bergers .060" off the lands and 153gr A-Tips .100" off the lands. I typically like .015" to .050"

In order to get to the lands the COAL is a little over 3.0". These fit in the Mag but won't cycle smoothly.

Is this due to a long Freebore or something else? If I spend the money to put an extended Mag in will it resolve this or will the action be a limiting factor?

Any insight is appreciated.

Thank you,
Sounds like you have the 0.188 freebore you will have too have a longer magazine , or set it back too a shorter freebore , that would require a gunsmith. I have 2 6.5 prcs that have a 0.145 freebore and mag length of 2.980 and the other on a long action with over a 3.00 length.

Long freebore is not that uncommon. Shoot it. While there are general rules of thumb in reloading with respect to accuracy there are no absolutes.

If there is a metal mag box inside the mag well consider removing it. I suspect the follower is attached to the floor plate.

HR - Yes, I was thinking I had the longer Freebore. Safer for Factory Rifles as there's no issue with Factory loads I guess (though those are pretty short anyway). I'll talk to my Smith on both options. I'd like to have a detachable mag if I do that. Setting the barrel back may be cost prohibitive.

My mag will accept 3.0" to 3.05" rounds so not really sure this will help?

Adam - Loaded both at different H1000 charge and will see. I believe both are forgiving on jump, just have been spoiled on a dozen rifles that don't have this issue. I've read between .050" and .010-" there can be a sweet spot.

Thanks for the insight!

Med- Interesting possibility. I'll try that. Agree on seating depth and accuracy. It can become a religion to some. Jam, vs to lands, vs 0.015" off, vs. jump, and on and on. Seen heated arguments at the range which always makes me laugh a bit.

History on the Mag box is Nosler messed up on the design for the 6.5 PRC. I think they slapped a 270 WSM mag in as it was close and called it a day. Could not even jam 3 rounds in and forget cycling. 2nd round flew out of the mag when cycled. Big error on their part. Box was thick plastic and not enough heel pressure from the spring. . Many had to send them back for a new mag and spring. Now the box is metal and the spring is stronger. Tried to get them to put a Wyatt box in with windows but that was a non starter. To much re-work I guess.

Good news I picked up a new one for $1,600 delivered vs $2,300 likely because of this. It was a hassle for sure but worth the 2 month wait, I think! Frustrating for sure.

Thanks again for all the help,

Elknut,

Just a note of caution if you go to a detachable mag box, you have to open the stock well even further because you end up having two magazine walls. You have the receptacle for detachbale box inluding whatever protusion is required for the the latch then you also have the magazine wall of the detachable box.

But alas, cash solves most problems in life.

I believe that 3.00 is outside and inside is 2.98 which might be what he has now.
Be careful seating bullets right against the mag box on recoil the tips might hit the mag box and seat them deeper.
In all honesty the 6.5 Prc isn't really cut out for a SA. Tikka is the best option for factory or a med length action.
But like stated above shoot it and see just sucks being hamstrung on seating depth

The SAAMI 6.5 PRC chamber has .188 freebore and the 156 touches the lands in a SAAMI chamber right around 3.070" oal. It sounds like yours is exactly as expected. Follow Lance's advise.

Seat them at max mag length that will cycle and go shoot. I have several rifles that love .050"+ jump.
It's amazing how many LR bullets love the longer jump. The hybrids definitely like the longer jump. The VLD bullets also tolerate a fairly jump also. .050 isn't that long really. I have some that jump .150 and shoot very good. Like you, I say load and head to the range.

Didn't read all the comments but let go of your preferences and find what the rifle likes. I load everything at 2.950 and everything shoots lights out. I've never even messed with seating depth since both rifles just flat shoot amazing with everything I throw at them