nosler m48 problem

dakotakidd

Well guys, last night I went to mount my scope on my m48 patriot and with my wheeler f.a.t wrench set to 22 in lbs the rear hole in the reciver stripped out! Unacceptable right? All the other holes felt like torquing into wood! Just ridiculous.
I called customer service and they are supposed to get back to me asap......we'll see how that goes.
Anyone have suggestions if they wont stand behind their product? I guess ive thought about drilling them out to fit #8-40 screws, but if the reciever is truly soft what good would that do?
Extremely frustrating. .....needed to vent a bit.

Do you know the minor dia of the receiver threads?
The pitch dia of those threads?
Do you know the major dia of the base screws?
The pitch dia of those screws?
Do you know the tolerance stack between the receiver holes and the base screws?
What class of thread, 2 or 3?

These are all rhetorical questions by the way.

I don't know who makes that specific part but it doesn't take much on either end to wind up with a 40% thread engagement. Chinese screws and a worn out drill will do it. I seriously doubt the guys cutting that receiver are milling those holes to size.

Before I sent it back I'd mozey over to a decent cnc shop and hand them $20 to pin the holes and drop a thread gage in there. That way you know what you have and aren't relying on Nosler. I would not go to a gunsmith.

Well it's at the gunship I bought it from, they will stand behind what they sell. They are going to do whatever has to be done to make it right at no charge to me. I have not heard back from nosler yet, not saying they won't treat me right, but I don't want to have to send my gun off and wait.
It's been 50-60F around here and I'm not busy at work...so I need my rifle to get some loads built up! Waiting is the last think I want to do.

I think elkbob has it right that there is a issue with variances at play here. Good luck with your rifle; I'm sure Nosler will make it right. My brother is on a m48 kick right now and they have gotten in touch with him on the one he's waiting for as to when it will be built. Who does that without you nagging them anymore??

I've put together dozens of rifles and have seen exactly one receiver hole garfed up. It is on my current m700lh lss '06. The previous "tool" er. owner cross threaded one hole on a three hole leopy base. I switched to weavers and babied another screw in to clean it up. That base set will never be off the rifle as long as I own it.

I have always used a Warne T-15 Torque Limiter.... fixed at 25 inch lbs.
Works perfectly fine, even on the M48 action...( I have 2 Patriots, one in 6.5 Norma and one in 280 AI)
Unless it was an off the wall defect(those actions are custom made), I'm sorry, but you most likely cross threaded it and it blew out, or the LGS you bought it from did it to you.
Just have them tapped to the next size, and watch it the next go around....
*** I haven't tried a 1 piece mount on this action yet, as they SPECIFICALLY mention 2 piece mounts meant for a R700 action.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.