Nosler Long Range Accubonds Accuracy Problems?

Reelamin

Spring is here so time to test out my 190 ABLR in my RUM and my rifle HATES THEM!! I searched and did not see a thread or compiled issues about this. I'm not talking about on game performance, but just how accurately they punch paper. I ran several loads last night and the groups were so bad I thought something was broken. I could not keep 3 rounds on a 8x11" piece of paper.
I went back and loaded up several more loads, and grabbed some of my known loads to shoot tonight. The rifle is fine, but it flat will not shoot 190ABLR. Best group was 7" with ABLR, and one of smy best known load pulled a .65 (180 Nosler AB) a little loose but where it should be. The ABLR are not stringing, but just flinging bullets all different directions.
Is anyone experiencing accuracy problems with the Nosler ABLR? I loaded up some for a friends rifle tonight, and he will get them shot this weekend.

I've had pretty good luck (.6 MOA) with the 210s in my 300 WSM and the 7mm 175s stacked into a little pile in my 7mm/300. The 210s started grouping at .090 off the lands, so if you're trying to run them close, back them off a ways and work in the .070 - .150 off. The same rifle shoots 230 Berger OTMs in the .3s at 300 yards, so the ABLRs don't shoot as well as the Berger's, but they're not horrible.

Do a custom search on the top tight hand corner for Nosler LR Accubonds: BC testing results by Bryan Litz.

Thanks for the info, but I stopped reading on page 10. It is great info for those who are into advertised BC, Actual BC, twist rates affect on BC, and other info on BC.
It really does not matter to me if my BC is off from what is advertised, nor am I spending $600 on a new barrel to try to change the BC of any bullet. I'll shoot what works in mine and use the actual data for my gun. I need accuracy from a good quality bullet not.
I did find two posts about accuracy in the 10 pages. One just posted up what he got, and the other was twice the group size of other bullets.

I have found a few posts about accuracy results on other threads. So far I have found more posts with noticeably worse accuracy results then the same or better.

I have a PM from one who is having the same results as me with groups not able to be kept on a sheet of paper.

reelamin

I had similar problems (not staying on a piece of notebook paper at 100 yards) with the 150 ABLR out of my 270 WSM. I did not have a known good load to try since it was a new factory surplus barrel. After checking for broken/loose scope and such I started wondering if the ABLRs were coming apart as they shot OK but not great up until 3,000 fps then went bonkers. I finally settled on the theory that the barrels I was using were crap and bought a Shilen prefit which I just got to the range for the first time last week. It shot sub MOA with starting loads and thus is way better than the surplus barrels I had used on that action previously. (I suppose I have learned again that you get what you pay for in barrels.) In the mean time I figured out that the ABLRs are somewhat of a niche product (they really are for long range) and may not be the best choice for zero to 500 yards. That was pointed out to me in a recent thread I started to ask about on game performance. So I'm not working with them right now if favor of regular 140 grain Accubonds.

Anyway, back to your rifle - to shoot that bad out of a known good rifle is really unusual. I have never seen it (assuming the problems I had were due to a known bad surplus barrel). To be rigorous about this I should load up some of the 150 grain ABLRs just to see if they shoot out of a known good barrel. I have assumed that they would. The only thing I can think of that might relate to this is that the twist you are using (probably 1 in 10) isn't enough to stabilize them but that is grasping at straws and I doubt that would be the case. Good luck.

Thanks for the info, but I stopped reading on page 10. It is great info for those who are into advertised BC, Actual BC, twist rates affect on BC, and other info on BC.
It really does not matter to me if my BC is off from what is advertised, nor am I spending $600 on a new barrel to try to change the BC of any bullet. I'll shoot what works in mine and use the actual data for my gun. I need accuracy from a good quality bullet not.
I did find two posts about accuracy in the 10 pages. One just posted up what he got, and the other was twice the group size of other bullets.

I have found a few posts about accuracy results on other threads. So far I have found more posts with noticeably worse accuracy results then the same or better.

I have a PM from one who is having the same results as me with groups not able to be kept on a sheet of paper.

# 93 post ... Big Jake Duke harvested a 380 class bull elk with 190 Nosler LRAB and he might be able to help.

Yes the thread is more on BC but it also contains the info you may need for accuracy, if your loosing BC due twist rate which means your stability is suffering maybe it's not enough for accuracy as well. We've seen it with other bullet, not stable enough to shoot but not so unstable as to go full on sideways.

Have you tried RE-25 and Fed 215m primers....92-95 grains? This should do the trick.

Yep was the second powder I tried behind retumbo. I have tried r25 retumbo, 869, 50bmg. I'm done with this bullet in this rifle. I have reloaded enough to know my rifle and the 190ABLR don't work together. Not a big deal as there are lots of bullets available.

Has anybody else noticed that the Jackets are extremely thin and the lead cores are soft on the ABLR? I've shot the 210's with pretty good success. But loading the 7mm 175's with .002" neck tension in a .284 Shehane, I am getting deformed Ogives. I am resizing w/ a Neil Jones custom FL Bushing die and trying to seat the bullets with a Newlon Micro Topped die that was chambered w/ the chamber reamer. I don't have any problems seating Berger 180 VLDs but the ABLR are giving me fits! After measuring Ogive to case head, I am seeing .050" variances in COAL.

Pulled out and old RCBS Comp seater for my .300 Ackley and with the larger seater stem has solved the variance/deformation problem. We will see tomorrow as to whether it helps on paper. Currently running a .025" jump to the lands.

I am a big fan of the Nosler Long Range Accubond.

They put down a lot of game for us in the last two years.

I have the 190s loaded up in the 300 win mags at 3050.

I use the 270 150gr in my 270 Ackley at 3200 fps (my favorite rig)

But I could not get a 190 to shoot worth a **** a 300 rum. I was so disapointed I sold the gun. A rem 700 custom shop. It made me sick.

Out of the rum I was getting 3300fps and 3-4" groups at 100 yards. I switched stocks/scopes/ OAL/ powders and even ammunition and it was always crap. So dejectedly the gun went on gunbroker. I hope you didnt buy it!

In the 300 win mag and 270 AI accuracy is superb.

PS Feenix- Berger is bringing out a .703 bc .277 170 gr this summer!! I'm building a 270-300win mag for that!! 1/8 28"

PS Feenix- Berger is bringing out a .703 bc .277 170 gr this summer!! I'm building a 270-300win mag for that!! 1/8 28"

Thanks for the info; hopefully they make enough for all of us to go around. :D
I have a few 150 LRABs that I haven't had a chance to try on my .270 AI yet ... I'm definitely slacking. :)

Looking forward to updates on your new build. Happy safe shooting/hunting. Cheers!

Ed

They would not shoot in my 300 RUM either. Also they would not shoot well in a 300WM I was working on at the time, but to be fair I didn't give them much of a chance in the Win mag.

I have a M700 7mm rem mag with a Krieger 26" 1:9.5 twist barrel. This rifle stacks 150 grain ballistic tips and 160 grain Accubonds on top of one another. It is a very good shooting rifle. However, I could not get it to shoot the 150 grain ABLR bullets with IMR 4350. The bullets were all over the place. I have recently tried the 168 grain ABLR with IMR 7828, and the best that I have been able to get is about 1.5 moa at 200 yards, which is very poor for my rifle. I tried the 168s at varying seating depths from .015", .045", .08", and .12" from the lands. The groups seems to be very random.
My rifle shoots the 160 Accubonds with 66.5 grains of IMR 7828 at 3085-3100 fps and shoots sub .5 MOA out to 600 yards.
The 168 grain ABLR with the same powder and charge was shooting only in the range of 3020 fps.

Guess I will be staying with the Accubond 160s.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.