Nosler long range Accubond experience

Hunt pretty exclusively with the 175's out of a 7mm RM. Love the bullet performance. Ideal blend of weight retention, penetration, and energy dump for North American big game in my opinion. Personally taken pronghorn, whitetail, mule deer, and even a couple of prairie dogs for s's and g's at ranges from 150-450 yards with a complete pass through every time. Typically game drops like it was struck by lightning and never seen anything travel more than a few steps. In addition I've hit steel out past a mile and even recovered the bullet. Perfect nose-on mushroom expansion so it's obvious it was still stable. The consensus I've heard and read over the years has been that these bullets like a lot of jump. I run them at magazine length which amounts to about 0.090" of jump. There could be a better grouping length but I'm still consistently 1/2-3/4 MOA without much effort and been under 1/4 at times. I'll be curious to see what others find for lengths here but in my experiences they handle a lot of jump.

I've had great success with some cartridge/ load combos and couldn't find success with others. My 280AI with H4831SC devoured the 168. Very accurate and consistent. My 300WM ate the 210 alive. Another very accurate and consistent load. H1000. With my 6.5-284, the 142 was the only bullet it would shoot accurately after it was torched out. One of my 308s did reasonable with the 210 and never shot the 190 worth a crap. Three 308s wouldn't digest the 190 well at all and the 168 were even worse. My 6.5 PRC doesn't shoot the 142 that well with H1000 but doesn't shoot them that bad with RETUMBO but isn't great. Terminal performance has been stellar.

I've come to form the opinion that they do best with heavier for caliber and with jump. 40-60 thousandths.

How many rounds do do you get out of a 7mag barrel? I took mine off at 708 but it was still shooting good. I just wanted a carbon fiber barrel and needed something to get me excited to shoot the 7mag again. It's been too easy to reach for the 6.5 saum the last few years.
I have a 7STW, not a 7RM. The barrel life of the STW I would hazard a guess is around 800 rounds. I have put close to 400 rounds through mine in short order, so I had another 7mm barrel in storage and chambered it to replace the other one.
A 7RM barrel should go beyond 1200 rounds before giving up the ghost.

Cheers.

I have found best results shooting the ABLR's at SAAMI and not trying to get close to lands. I ignored this for longgg time until I spoke with Nosler technical and they adamantly recommended setting COAL to SAAMI for max accuracy. But only for the ABLR's. I "tried" it not expecting anything spectacular and I was wrong. My 300WSM with 168ABLR shot 3/4" at 200 yds with HV100.

Looking for other users experience with these bullets. Specifically 7mm 175gr but I would think other calibers may react similarly.
I just re-barreled my 7mag. I have a pile if 175 LRAB as well as some ELDX but way more noslers. Enough to out last the life of the barrel.

My question is what seating depth area do they like? Obviously going to be a little different in my rifle but I would like to know others experience.

If enough people chime in, a common depth area might become apparent.

Mainly looking for a good starting point. As we all know components are hard to come by. Maybe I can save some with the help of the collective

Thanks!
In my 7mm LRM the ABLR never shot satisfactory. I shot 15 different powder charge seating depth combos and found 1 that shot .7 in at 100 yards. This in a rifle that shoots the Berger 180 VLD and 195 EOL under 1/2 MOA. But it was in 2016 so maybe the bullet is different now. So, with the accuracy of the Bergers I could not justify the ABLR in my use case. They rifle was primarily built for that 500–1000-yard region on Coues deer so I needed more accuracy. One thing I learned later while trying the ABLR in my 6.5 PRC was they sometimes like to be way off the lands. In my 6.5 PRC they shot the best at 100 thou off, again around .6-.7 MOA. In the 6.5 version they still couldn't touch the 156 Bergers so by passed them again. The Bergers have been good to me on game. So far they have accounted for 4 Coues bucks at 743, 448, 460, and 340 yards. Then 18 head of African game including an Eland. So I haven't missed the ABLR. I might give the new 150 a try in my 6.5 just to be fair.

Looking for other users experience with these bullets. Specifically 7mm 175gr but I would think other calibers may react similarly.
I just re-barreled my 7mag. I have a pile if 175 LRAB as well as some ELDX but way more noslers. Enough to out last the life of the barrel.

My question is what seating depth area do they like? Obviously going to be a little different in my rifle but I would like to know others experience.

Mainly looking for a good starting point. As we all know components are hard to come by. Maybe I can save some with the help of the collective

Thanks!
Only tried one ladder test in a 6.5 PRC, with the 142s, results were horrible so didn't even try from there. (Edit) just remembered I did a ladder with the .277 150gr in my 10" twist .270 WBY and same results-crappy (most likely too slow of a twist was the culprit there).

I hope you have better success.

Last edited:
In my 7mm LRM the ABLR never shot satisfactory. I shot 15 different powder charge seating depth combos and found 1 that shot .7 in at 100 yards. This in a rifle that shoots the Berger 180 VLD and 195 EOL under 1/2 MOA. But it was in 2016 so maybe the bullet is different now. So, with the accuracy of the Bergers I could not justify the ABLR in my use case. They rifle was primarily built for that 500–1000-yard region on Coues deer so I needed more accuracy. One thing I learned later while trying the ABLR in my 6.5 PRC was they sometimes like to be way off the lands. In my 6.5 PRC they shot the best at 100 thou off, again around .6-.7 MOA. In the 6.5 version they still couldn't touch the 156 Bergers so by passed them again. The Bergers have been good to me on game. So far they have accounted for 4 Coues bucks at 743, 448, 460, and 340 yards. Then 18 head of African game including an Eland. So I haven't missed the ABLR. I might give the new 150 a try in my 6.5 just to be fair.
I've got some 150 ablr's to try for myself in my custom 6.5 prc. Hopefully they aren't as bad as some here had said the ablrs are in the accuracy category.

I'm fairly new at using the 150 Grn ABLR's in my 270 Weatherby Mag , with 26 inch factory barrel, with a 10 twist. Since my Mark V has the factory Freebore, I cannot seat the ABLR's to touch the lands and still fit in the mag. I just seated them 10/1000 over max COAL, and used them at the Bang Steel Shooting School. My First time ever shooting steel at long range. I was completely happy and so were the two instructors. One of whom shot several shots out of the Weatherby , and we both hit steel, at various ranges. My Load was a modest 66.7 Grns of H 4831 SC , which I Estimated was giving me 2900 fps, with the 150 Grn ABLR , but the instructors felt it was actually 3000 fps. I expect the load in NJ at 75 feet elevation and shooting school at 2880 feet in elevation caused some slight difference in velocity . We were all very pleased with the performance of the rifle and load ! Fired 80 Rounds, missed two targets in two days , one was due to miss calculation of wind at 840 yards . All and all, very pleased , not sure what bullet would have been better, at targets . I have 270 Bergers in 170 Grn ,but felt it would be a waist to shoot them in a 10 twist barrel. I would like to use this bullet for LR Deer this year, but if anyone has had a bad experience with the performance of this bullet on game, please let me know.

So far for me, they have been great for accuracy and on-game performance. I will say that none of us shooting them are running them over 3000fps though. There are 3 of us hunting with them. 6.5 Grendel, Creed, Swede, and 7 mag with 175's. All have performed great on game. I shoot them to extend my useful range a bit over TTSX. Where a TTSX will open up to say 400-500 yards on velocity threshold the ABLR will about double that range give or take some yards, if I wanted to shoot that far. I shot an antelope with my wifes Creed at 702 yards quartering to me with 142 LRAB at 2642fps and bullet exited off hip. Bang flop. I always start with Noslers coal and go from there. Oh ya forgot 6.5 sherman and 6.5 Swede AI also
Good luck

How many rounds do do you get out of a 7mag barrel? I took mine off at 708 but it was still shooting good. I just wanted a carbon fiber barrel and needed something to get me excited to shoot the 7mag again. It's been too easy to reach for the 6.5 saum the last few years.
My 7mm Rem mag was new in 1963. Original stainless barrel and now has over 5000 down the tube. I do have some throat erosion but I just seat a bit farther out. Still shoots bughole groups but I've never let the barrel hit up while shooting. I hav another identical barrel off my late fathers 700 to replace it with. It's stainless and was made at the same time or before mine. It's a shooter too but only has about 300 rounds through it.

Thanks!
I have 10 boxes of Nosler.280 AI 150 grain ABLR factory loads, 300 7mm 150 grain ABLR bullets, and 400 168 grain 30 Caliber bullets ABLR all for sale. Anyone near Wisconsin

Recent Posts