Nosler J4's DAVE KING please read...

W

*WyoWhisper*

Nosler J4\'s DAVE KING please read...

Well I thought that I would ever want to use anything but an SMK.. but the Nosler J4 outshoots the SMK in my 308.. I have really really tried not to let this happen.. ;-)

Dave I was wondering if maybe you could disect one ( like you did with others ) to compare jacket thinkness and stuff. if it isn't to much trouble. Given I don't know how you did it the first time.....

anyone else try them ?????

Re: Nosler J4\'s DAVE KING please read...

I have shot a lot of J4's, both in Winchester Competition Supreme factory loads and in handloads. They seem to be easier to get than Matchkings from some of our suppliers. You can buy them in boxes of 250. In most of the rifles that we shoot the J4's are very close to Matchkings. Like your rifle we have some that shoot them slightly better, some that are not as good. We have checked for optimim loads and the J4's shoot the same amount of Varget as Matchkings, each rifle has its preference. A suggestion: give the Speer 168's a try, they are sleepers. You never hear much about them but they are also very accurate bullets.
Last year I shot two deer with the J4's and they seemed to perform like Matchkings, died in their tracks. Longer shot was 383.
There are several very good match bullets out there but I believe that the Matchking is still #1, particularly the 175 grain version.

Did some basic testing with these bullets earlier in the year on water filled milk jugs. The range was 100yds out of a 300Wby. Muzzle vel around 3150fps.

Bullets were 165gr Nosler Ballistic tips and J4, and 168gr Amax. Test was how far these would penetrate through 3 milk jugs.

The BT went through all three with massive damage to 1 and 2. #3 was split open. Jacket fragment and occasional lead core could be found in jug 3.

The Amax and J4 only went through 2 jugs with the third either not damaged or slightly punctured (shrapnel holes). Jugs 1 and 2 were also obliterated. No pieces were ever found - bullets vaporised.

Amax and BT both fly substantially flatter then the J4 at long range - usually 4 Min. less. All shoot to same point of aim at 100 to 200 yds. Muzzle vel within 50fps of each other.

Didn't get a chance to test at long range using the milk jugs. Have shot at steel plates and wet phone books using the Amax and they work great at long range.

A 155gr Amax blew right through a 5/16" thick steel plate at 340yds. Muzzle vel at 2850fps from my 308.

I am going to see if I can find the Bentonite that Ian has been testing with. Should be a good medium for bullet testing. Cheap, easy to make, biodegradeable.

Good luck...

Jerry

Rick

I don't have any J4's to play with but as soon as I get some we'll operate.

Dave,

e-mail me with your address and I'll send ya some....

I've been using the j-4s (155) in my remington700vssf and i'm getting under half inch groups at 200 yds.i also fired on a 3/8 inch steel plate at 150 yds went clean thru.I'm also using the j-4 in 22cal (69gr) with great success.

I have been using J4's for a couple of years now. I even shot three deer with them last year.

I have found the J4's to be very accurate as well as being less expensive than the MK's. I weighed an entire box and found all 100 to be within 2 grains. This was not true of the MK's which can vary quite a lot in weight.

Terminal performance was good, with the bullets fully transiting an unsuspecting Mulie.

Peter

Peter,

THat what I am gonna use mine for ..Mulies.. I got back from the last Elk hunt and I am gonna send a couple of them to Dave to see how they compare to the SMK's....

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.