Nosler incompetence??

I read that Nosler now owns and has begun using Doppler radar to establish bullet BC values. So that would explain how - finally - we get an accurate, or at least less exaggerated, Nosler provided BC value.
I heard the same. At first, I heard they sent bullets out to a independent lab, but I also heard they have their own.
I also heard, they are or did, update all the ABLRs with Doppler data.

Nosler has impressed me here and there, failed me miserably here and there. In the beginning the 180 Partition was marketed to break big moose shoulders reliably, I saw that not work. Fast forward to blowing up their shop. Since then some good products, but lousy phone and e-mail service.

I still buy their products, but more skeptically than I once would have.

morning, make of barrels and twist make a big difference
in the accuracy of different bullet makers. for instance.
I started shooting barnes bullets from there start.
accuracy was marginal. now the owner of barnes
bullets R&D has made the accuracy very good.
I have used mcgowen, douglas, shilen brougthon
barrels. old school? just me GBOT TUM

I have 2000 105 RDF and 1000 70 RDF. I have not shot the first one of either yet. My buddies that shoot them are jumping a bit and accuracy out to 1000 for the 105 and 700 for the 70 is impressive.

First off, I have never shot the new 6.5 130- I've shot tons of the 224 70gr sub .5" all day long- even in an AR. The 6.5 RDF 140gr shot the same. exceptionally well in Creedmoor, Grendel, 6.5x284 and 264 Win Mag, my 308 Range Princess Rifle (RPR) loves 30 Cal RDF 175gr pills. Just started to try loads with the new 210gr 30 cal RDF for a 300 NM working on. No - I'm stunned at the negative results that are pso very contrary to mine, they work seriously well for me and my friends. Typically I use .015 Jumps, neck turn all my brass and prefer a faster twist if available- example my 264WM 7.5:1 twist with 30" barrel. Maybe slower twist is a problem ?

are you referring to a 6.5 CM

freebore to land angle in combination with thin jackets at the start of the swaging through bore process, more aerodynamic bullets noses have closer angle to match that angle

i think its important that the bullet start swaging at the bearing surface first

im guess that is why the vld have seating depth issues too, i think momentum of jump is used to overcome that swage, which is lowering that average, which lowers average time to leave the barrel

Last edited:
My local firearm dealer stopped carrying nosler Lrab bullets because enough guys were having trouble getting them shoot.

Last edited:
I gave up on the on the Nosler LRAB bullets in 6.5 and 30 cal, finding gross lot to lot differences in performance.

I haven't had much success with the Nosler LRAB either, Ive tried them in my 6.5CM,6.5-284,6.5PRC,280AI and they are always over an inch, only rifle I have that likes them is the 28 Nosler with the 175s

Can't comment on the RDF's as I haven't tried them yet.

I haven't shot the new LRAB but the AB need a perfectly clean bore to shoot well. They foul easily if there is any material from a different bullet in the bore. Same is true with their mono bullets. I haven't handled the new RDF's, do they have a tangent, secant, or hybrid ogive? I've seen good reports. but haven't shot them.

Just a reminder from an old rifle builder.

Barrels are individuals and like different bullets. Many times I have tried "THE" bullet and it wouldn't work,so I switched to a different bullet and found great accuracy.

Each bullet has its place and it is up to the re loader to figure out what bullet the rifle likes. Sometimes it is the weight of the bullet, some times it is the style of the bullet, sometimes it is the seating depth, but if all of these things have been addressed, It is probably the barrel its self that just doesn't like a particular bullet.

I have several rules that have served me well over many years and they go something like this.

First, Don't believe anything you hear until you test it out.

Never build a rifle for "ONE" bullet. (If it doesn't like it you are screwed).

If a rifle doesn't like a particular bullet try another or a different weight.

There is no perfect bullet, no perfect twist rate, No perfect grove count, no perfect barrel contour, barrel length , ETC so it is up to you/us to find the right combination to achieve the accuracy we want/expect.

If a bullet is well made and precise dimensional tolerances there is a combination that will shoot it, unfortunately it may not be what you have and you must find that Bullet.

If I cant find a good bullet for a quality rifle, I consider it my fault.

J E CUSTOM

Barrels are individuals and like different bullets. Many times I have tried "THE" bullet and it wouldn't work,so I switched to a different bullet and found great accuracy.
Yup I agree with you. They can be like people can finicky on what they eat. And others will eat just about anything. Hence me being 50lbs overweight lol.

One other observation.

High BC bullets with longer profiles compared to standard profiles, seem to be affected more if concentric ammo is not loaded. If a bullet of the same weight but longer profile is not launched perfectly, bullet yaw has more effect on it.

I used to think that the bullet body length had the most effect on engraving in the rifling and stabilizing the bullet better until I trimmed the Meplat down on some poor performing bullets that were loaded and tested for concentricity to Zero run out (Perfectly concentric). they shot better than the same loads that had not had the Meplat trimmed.

Armed with this information, I set out to buy all the tools to help me load more concentric ammo and the results were that all other things being right accuracy improved across the board.

So if you are having trouble with High ballistic coefficient bullets performing, this may also be one of the problems. so check your loads for concentricity and if all is good, it could just be that the barrel doesn't like the bullet.

J E CUSTOM

are you referring to a 6.5 CM

freebore to land angle in combination with thin jackets at the start of the swaging through bore process, more aerodynamic bullets noses have closer angle to match that angle

i think its important that the bullet start swaging at the bearing surface first

im guess that is why the vld have seating depth issues too, i think momentum of jump is used to overcome that swage, which is lowering average, which lowers average time to leave the barrel[/QU
Yep, 6.5 in CM, Grendel, 6.5x284 and 264 WM 140 RDFs were often same hole at 100. Then with 70gr224 RDFs Same great performance and in 30 Cal 300WM shot very well hunting out at 450-500. Never tried the 6.5 130gr tho and I must say never could get my 130 NOSLER ABLRs to shoot as well as the 142's.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.