Nosler custom comp inconsistent

arkie

Ordered 400 of the nosler 105gr 6mm custom competition bullets and there is drastic inconsistency. Is it common to have to sort all your bullets by length? I grabbed afew of my 168gr vld's and saw the same issue but not nearly as large of a spread. Am I being to critical by sorting them?

Have you tried sorting by base-to-ogive length? That will likely give more consistent results than measuring overall length of the bullet

Well that makes sense, so really I need a bullet comparator to measure such? Or a meplat trimmer/uniformer to get them all the same? IF they were sorted into different lots of the same oal and die was readjusted everytime the lot changed would that not get you some consistency? Sorry, not new to it but new to doing it on my own and for precision. Also are we talking the difference in half moa groups or 1.5 moa size groups with the differences?

Yes, you'll need a bullet comparator to measure base to ogive. I've never sorted bullets by base to ogive length and have always been able to tune things in to 1/2-3/4 MOA which is good enough for what I need to do with it. Guys chasing the .1 & .2 inch groups may see benefit in sorting bullets, but any variance that is there hasn't caused me to loose any sleep

Ordered 400 of the nosler 105gr 6mm custom competition bullets and there is drastic inconsistency. Is it common to have to sort all your bullets by length? I grabbed afew of my 168gr vld's and saw the same issue but not nearly as large of a spread. Am I being to critical by sorting them?

nosler custom competition bullets are known for inconsistency.

I sort all my bullets by weight first then length second but they should not very too much and if they're all of the same lot they should be fairly consistent

Also while I understand the base to ogive may be different I would think it would have less variance then the base to tip measurement?
Unless it is a tipped bullet they are very inconsistent don't even worry about overall length bullet base to ogive is what is important if it will fit in the mag what really is important as distance to Lands

Well that makes sense, so really I need a bullet comparator to measure such? Or a meplat trimmer/uniformer to get them all the same? IF they were sorted into different lots of the same oal and die was readjusted everytime the lot changed would that not get you some consistency? Sorry, not new to it but new to doing it on my own and for precision. Also are we talking the difference in half moa groups or 1.5 moa size groups with the differences?
Probably not that big a difference For the amount of trouble of pointing all your bullets

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts