Nosler BT 30 Cal Opinions

statjunk

Hello All,

Was wondering if folks hold any opinions on the Nosler Ballistic Tip bullets in 30 cal.

Seem like a cheap bullet wondering what the performance has been on game.

Thanks

Tom

A friend of mine shot a mule deer at around 150 yards with the 180's bt out of a 300 weatherby in right side of the chest, the bullet made mush out his insides and ended up just in the skin on the opposite ribcage. The bullet recovered was a perfect mushroom about like the ones they advertise at high velocity. I was surprised it held up like it did at that speed. The deer was dead before he hit the ground. Awesome performance if you ask me, all of the energy was transfered into the deer.

Buddy of mine had two DRT kills with them on a trip to Virginia last year. I use them primarily for paper because they're cheap.

Maybe I'm going to have to see how they do myself.

Tom

I have used them in 7mm rem mag and .270 win and every deer I have shot with em has dropped on the spot. I just wish they made em in a heavier bullet with a little better b.c. From what I have seen they do the same as the accubonds on game but I havent killed a whole lot with the accubonds. Just what Iv seen....

Keep them under 3100 fps impact speed and they are great. I use a bunch of 125 gr ballistic tip bullets from my 308 Win, 30X47 HBR and soon my Contender pistol in 30-30AI for deer. They are super killers.

I shoot accubonds out of my 300 wsm. if it were a 308 it would probably be shooting bts I just feel the need for an exit wound. I've seen a couple of deer shot with bts and cts from magnums not exit and leave next to no blood trail. mind you the deer all dropped within 100 yds or less. I just would much prefer having a nice hole in the other side dumping blood. that being said those shots were all in close and at longer ranges the result would likely be different.

for me they are a great bullet.but most hunters around here do not like them.why you will ask.OK I'll tell you.THEY CAN NOT SHOOT.

as long as you can put it where it counts it will put the animal down.out of my 308 the 165gn works good.and for a good friend the same bullet running 3100fps worked like a charm out of his 300wm.saw him put many a deer down with it.even out to 200 yards in the head.and as one has already said they are a good shooting bullet for papper.

The 168 grain Btip with a .490 BC is excellent in the 06 and 308. I am getting 3012 fps from my 06 with RL17 and groups are 5/8" at 100 yards.

for me they are a great bullet.but most hunters around here do not like them.why you will ask.OK I'll tell you.THEY CAN NOT SHOOT.

as long as you can put it where it counts it will put the animal down.out of my 308 the 165gn works good.and for a good friend the same bullet running 3100fps worked like a charm out of his 300wm.saw him put many a deer down with it.even out to 200 yards in the head.and as one has already said they are a good shooting bullet for papper.

Interesting, Johnboy. Anybody that prefers not to hunt with the bt can't shoot? Are you sure that you want to go there? After all you are impressed with 200 yrd head shots. C'mon man.

Steve

man I just read my post again to see what you ment.and I see that I was talking about you guys and didn't mean that at all.I was talking about the boys around my neck of the woods.heck most of them say if the bullet can hit a pie plate its good to go.

sorry if I hit a nearve or something.really didn't check over that post like I should have.again the boys around MY NECK OF THE WOODS CANNOT SHOOT.so useing a NBT is something they hate.meaning when they pull the trigger and the bullet hits bone they hate that.thats why I said that.and its true when the NBT hits bone first it blows up instead of going deeper to really take care of the job it was meant to do.

so Steve does that sound better.and again I really didn't mean any of you guys could not shoot.just didn't look over the post before hitting submit.

man I just read my post again to see what you ment.and I see that I was talking about you guys and didn't mean that at all.I was talking about the boys around my neck of the woods.heck most of them say if the bullet can hit a pie plate its good to go.

sorry if I hit a nearve or something.really didn't check over that post like I should have.again the boys around MY NECK OF THE WOODS CANNOT SHOOT.so useing a NBT is something they hate.meaning when they pull the trigger and the bullet hits bone they hate that.thats why I said that.and its true when the NBT hits bone first it blows up instead of going deeper to really take care of the job it was meant to do.

so Steve does that sound better.and again I really didn't mean any of you guys could not shoot.just didn't look over the post before hitting submit.

It's cool. I figured it was something like that, I just couldn't keep my mouth shut. I have used the 180 bt for years out of a 06. I don't like it much because of all the blood shot. Just too frangible for my liking.

Steve

I tried NBT in 308 WIN, 165 gr wouldn't stabilize good in 1:12 twist, I had better luck with Nosler Custom Competition bullets 155 - 168 gr, this NCC are accurate and deadly.I also found very big inconsistency in weight while sorting NBT, could be the batch I had, anyhow most of the NBT are long bullets which require faster twist rate like 1:10, 165 - 180 gr ranges from 1.3" - 1.36" OAL

Have been using Nosler BT ever since they came on the market 15-20 years? Use 165 Gr in 300 Win Mag. and it is awesome. Push them about 3100 FPS and they will do a number on deer.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.