nosler brass

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by deserthntr, Dec 21, 2011.

1. deserthntr

deserthntr Active Member

who has experience with nosler brass, and is it comparable to lapua or norma brass? ive heard good things from the few things ive heard about it

2. frequent misser

frequent misser Well-Known Member

It seems to be a love hate relationship with Nosler brass. Some guys cuss it and say its soft and some love it. I have tried it in 6.5/284 and 300wsm and I would almost compare it to Lapua, not quite as good but close. Maybe I got lucky and got some good lots. As far as holding up the 6.5 is a modest charge running a 140 at 2975 and is on its 6th firing. The 300wsm is a fairly hot load pushing a 208 at 2925 and is on its 3rd firing. Primer pockets are still tight. I bought some more in 7stw to try as I can tell you it is way better than remington. I was running norma in my 300 and loved it but I sort cases and I had to buy a bunch to get a good lot to load. I had to alter my charge weight with nosler but my groups didn't change. If you try it let us know what you think of it.

3. hifi

hifi Member

I just started using nosler brass w/ my 300 win sendero, so far I'm having good luck with it. I am only on my 5th loading, but not shooting a hot load, a 185 berger at 3000.

4. Birdhunter1

Birdhunter1 Well-Known Member

I have been using Nosler brass in my Tikka T3 .243 and I have had a few problems but overall I think the brass is very uniform and is good. I have not worked with Lapua or Norma. The only problems I have had with the Nosler brass is a 4 caseheads out of 200 warped. Now this could have happened when I fired them but of the other 196 I have seen no signs of anything going on. Only reason I noticed it is because the cases would not go into my RCBS shellholder and upon inspection it looked like something grabbed the casehead real hard and bent it. I thought maybe an extractor issue but they way these were bent I would think the extractor would have had damage. So out of 200 4 went bad.

The other 196 cases have had 4 or 5 reloadings.

5. Derek M.

Derek M. Well-Known Member

I bought 300-400, can't remember, for my 7mag. They were "seconds." So far I've not had any issues with it.

If you are looking at brass for which you can buy Lapua or Norma, then get the best.

However, the guys with the TV show, at Gunwerks, and BOTW use Winchester brass last time I spoke with them because they get it by the thousands and it's much cheaper that way.

The 2 very best loads I have ever used were with Winchester brass in 7mag and 270.

I have a 308 and 30.06, both of which I have a ton of Lapua brass. I've not been able to achieve that "perfect" one holer with either yet but that's also, in part, due to the fact that I've not had a lot of time to do more loading yet.

6. Greyfox

Greyfox Well-Known Member

I have used Nosler in both my 308 and 6.5x284. I have been able to get excellent results with it, being able to match accuracy and number of reloads compared to Lapua.

7. IdahoJoe

IdahoJoe Well-Known Member

I use it in my 6.5-284 only shot 1 round through it yet but I like it. That said I have never used any of the higher end stuff before.

8. coyotezapper

coyotezapper Well-Known Member

I use it for my 7MM STW because it is the only decent brass available for this chambering. So far it has been very good. I double checked the weights and they were definately weight sorted. As good as Lapua and or Norma? NO IMO.

9. Elkmen

Elkmen Well-Known Member

I am also using it in my STW for about a 15% reduction in group size! over Remington cases. Its beautiful stuff. This is from a 25 year old 700 with a standard factory barrel, H-S precision stock. Best group of 4 was with 77 Grains of H-1000 with 175 Nosler PT, Nosler Cases

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011