Nosler Brass ???

mr.big

going to have to work some new brass for my 300RUM and my 204,,Nosler is the only higher priced brass available in either of these calibers as far as I know,but I have not used any as yet,,,Question is,is the Nosler on par with Norma or Laupa or should I stay with the Hornady I been using,as I have had BAD experiences with WW in 204 and kinda like the Rem for the RUM.

If your time is worth a nickel get the nosler brass. They have done all the prep work. The rem brass i had to buy for a 7RUM the primer holes are not punched in the center. I rolled them on a flat surface and it was amazing how far off they were.

Nosler brass is made by either Norma or Lapua... I cannot remember which. It is of very high quality, although sadly I do not shoot it... they don't make any for the .25-06 or 6mm Rem. ~JT

I use Nosler in my 300wm and my 204. I like the brass. It seems to be pretty good. I would not put it on par with Norma or Lapua but I like the fact that I can buy it and just load it up. What problems were you having with the WW brass? My necks were splitting after 3 firings and my friend was having the should dents after firings.

on the 204,I bought 200 factory loaded 40 gr Hornady V-Max,that was before you could buy any kind of 204 brass,the Hornady brass lasted 5 more loadings with the 40 V-Max and a heavy dose of H-4895 for 3815 fps and an honest 5 shot average of less than .400.the primers started getting pretty loose after the 5th trip so I tossed them,butthe necks were still in good shape.

I found some 34 gr Win factory ammo at a hardware store REAL cheap so I got them and shot it up for the brass,and they shot about .800 but had pressure marks after the first firings and after neck sizing 16 of the first 20 split all the down the shoulder.

the Hornady brass was scary accurate after doing the whole nine yards,but if the Noslers are ready to load out of the box ,,well I hate turning necks,,and deburring flashholes..

I have not used Norma or Laupa brass but I really like the Nosler brass. No comparison to R-P or W-W brass.

JD338

We are talking 204ruger here so that means no Norma or Lapua is available.

I just bought some swedish made 222Rem Mag brass to form 204 ruger. It was the same price as WW so I thought I would give it a try.

One of my contacts at Nosler told me the brass comes from a couple of different manufacturers depending on caliber. Norma and Lapua apparently both supply some of the brass. ~JT

I'm preping some Nosler .243 Win. and necking it up to 260 Rem. I must have to say, it feels alot like Remington brass, I neck turn them and just like Remington only 1 side of the neck gets the cut. I have 3 different rifles that use Lapua brass and this Nosler brass is no where near the quality! It, in my opinion, is expensive Remington brass that has been weight sorted, flash hole cleaned up, case neck deburred and chamfered. That is it, and I still square the primer pockets. Using this brass for my friends 260 Rem has convinced my that I will never purchse Nosler brass -ever. Crud, even seating the primers feels like Remington! For the same money Lapua is the only way to go, period..

I have heard that Nosler wont state what kind of brass they use. I have heard that it is preped winchester or remington.

IMO, no one will ever really know unless they tell you. Nosler has been kinda secretive on the subject...

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts