Nosler brass strikes again

Long and short of it, I now hear and read far more complaints about Nosler brass than I ever used to, it certainly seems to be a problem now. Hornady brass has generally been crap all along. Only thing I use it in is the 375 Ruger and I would switch in a heart beat if I could get something else.
The 6.5 Creedmoor Hornady brass has actually been very good. I'm up to 5x fired (annealed after 3x) and they're still going strong. Primer pockets are still good.

The 6.5 Creedmoor Hornady brass has actually been very good. I'm up to 5x fired (annealed after 3x) and they're still going strong. Primer pockets are still good.
Good to hear. Have to think they would get one right eventually. I am generally a HUGE Hornady fan but to date their Brass has been a real disappointment. The 17 HH brass was so bad I started forming it from Privi 22 Hornet. The 375 Ruger only gets shot for hunting so 3 firings per brass isn't a real big problem, but in target guns I never had Hornady brass go 5 without losing the pockets, whereas Win or Lapua will go 15 easily at the same velocity.

Would you mind keeping us posted on the results of the performance and durability of the new Nosler 280 AI brass, as opposed to what you have experienced with your older lot?

I recently purchased a Savage Axis in 280 AI. I had wanted one for years but, have so many, 270 Wins, 7mm-08s, 7mm Rem Mags, 308 Wins, 30-06s and 300 Win Mags that I just didn't buy one. When a very reputable Gunbroker seller had the Axis 280 AI BNIB and it was 15 minutes left with a bid of $180 + $25 S&H I couldn't let it pass. I put in a bid of $250, but won it for $185 + $25!

I found some new Nolser 280 AI 140gr Ballistic Tip loaded ammunition for sale at what new 280 AI brass cost. I bought a case of it to harvest fire formed brass and save some work & components. Though not fond of the bullet ,or the weight for 7mm/.284, they were pretty accurate. Haven't started loading for it yet though. Too many other load developments in process at the moment.

Guys, I would greatly appreciate any information on your experience the new nosler brass.

Dmagna, any chance you could post a picture of the old and new Nosler 280 AI headstamps, tagging which is the older and which is the new? I'd love to compare it to what I have.

Thanks,
Kevin

I bet that seller lost his rear after fees. I see LH versions priced at $320 down the road and they have a fair number of stores and likely some amount of purchasing clout. A clearance price on one awhile back was around $280 + tax.

I bet that seller lost his rear after fees. I see LH versions priced at $320 down the road and they have a fair number of stores and likely some amount of purchasing clout. A clearance price on one awhile back was around $280 + tax.

Didn't dream I would win that rifle! Was really just trying to help the seller out. I buy from that seller a lot!

Does anyone know what the Norma shooter pack brass is? I saw some in 284 Winchester with a great price but I would like to know how it compares to Lapua (resized) or Peterson.

Does anyone know what the Norma shooter pack brass is? I saw some in 284 Winchester with a great price but I would like to know how it compares to Lapua (resized) or Peterson.
the norma brass would be my third choice its not bad by any means just softer than the lapua or Peterson I use it in calibers were lapua or Peterson is not available the shooters pack is just a box of 100

Interesting. If I didn't already have 300 pieces of Lapua, I think I would be tempted to go with Norma because it is 30% cheaper and no forming.

Would you mind keeping us posted on the results of the performance and durability of the new Nosler 280 AI brass, as opposed to what you have experienced with your older lot?

I recently purchased a Savage Axis in 280 AI. I had wanted one for years but, have so many, 270 Wins, 7mm-08s, 7mm Rem Mags, 308 Wins, 30-06s and 300 Win Mags that I just didn't buy one. When a very reputable Gunbroker seller had the Axis 280 AI BNIB and it was 15 minutes left with a bid of $180 + $25 S&H I couldn't let it pass. I put in a bid of $250, but won it for $185 + $25!

I found some new Nolser 280 AI 140gr Ballistic Tip loaded ammunition for sale at what new 280 AI brass cost. I bought a case of it to harvest fire formed brass and save some work & components. Though not fond of the bullet ,or the weight for 7mm/.284, they were pretty accurate. Haven't started loading for it yet though. Too many other load developments in process at the moment.

Guys, I would greatly appreciate any information on your experience the new nosler brass.

Dmagna, any chance you could post a picture of the old and new Nosler 280 AI headstamps, tagging which is the older and which is the new? I'd love to compare it to what I have.

Thanks,
Kevin
I also bought 100 rounds of Nosler loaded ammo 140 BT.
The brass used in factory ammo is not the same as Nosler brass for reloading. Weight and water volume is different.
During ladder testing when I start noticing pressure, those pockets are opening up. I use a gage pin for a no-go, and check as I deprime. Out of 50, I've lost 6. 2nd firing.
Lost some finding primers to work well with Reloder 23.
Expensive to toss them, but until I splurge for good brass... I'm tagging in to hear what other 28OAI owners are finding.

I also bought 100 rounds of Nosler loaded ammo 140 BT.
The brass used in factory ammo is not the same as Nosler brass for reloading. Weight and water volume is different.
During ladder testing when I start noticing pressure, those pockets are opening up. I use a gage pin for a no-go, and check as I deprime. Out of 50, I've lost 6. 2nd firing.
Lost some finding primers to work well with Reloder 23.
Expensive to toss them, but until I splurge for good brass... I'm tagging in to hear what other 28OAI owners are finding.

Thanks Bob.
Disappointing to hear, but good to know. I do plan on using RL-23 for the 280 AI loads. I have plenty on hand and have had great results with it in similar size cases with heavier bullets.

Thanks Bob.
Disappointing to hear, but good to know. I do plan on using RL-23 for the 280 AI loads. I have plenty on hand and have had great results with it in similar size cases with heavier bullets.
Yes, and try a magnum primer. I found out the non magnum primer I chose, just had erratic burn and random pressure spikes. Lost brass in pockets way below max charge, mid range and max charges. RE23 is a great choice to start load development with mag primers. I'm thinking it will end up around a comfortable 3050-3090 fps with a 143 Hammer Hunter.
Will know this week.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.