Nosler brass life in 300 rum and win mag

E. Dailing

I have searched old posts for info on this and found many references to short brass life. I did find a post where some one got six firings on Nosler brass, I dont remember which cartridge, and another that said four or five. Hoping to hear about the number of firings people get from Nosler brass in these two chamberings.
Thanks Erik

I shoot Nosler 300 win mag, 338 RUM and 325 WSM brass. I have been getting 6 firings no problem with the win mag, and have not shot thee 338 enough to cycle through 6 firings yet, but so far no problems.

But also going to depend on how hard you run them. My accurate loads are always under max, so I get good case life.

I have exceeded max doing load development in all those cases, and the 300 win mag primer pockets opened up to where I thought the primer was going to fall out... had to chuck those brass. Have not had that problem with the RUM or WSM cases.

My loads are always at max which is just and only just below the shine of the extractor.

In a 270 Allen Magnum and necked down 300 RUM Nosler brass, one (1) shot was it. Primer pocket expansion was extreme. With Remmy RUM brass more than six firings are attained. On the 6th on I seat primers with my thumb.:roll eyes:

The primer won't stay in after the 6th. I have 36 pounds of cases headed for the recycler one of these days. :)

Thanks for the replies you guys.
I shoot the 300 win mag and have gotten 9 firings with winchester brass. I resize my brass .002 under fired dimension, and load what the gun likes.
Started testing a heavier bullet with Nosler brass last year and liked the results, but reading about
"Soft brass and/or loose primer pockets" just got the better of me.
My brother and some friends shoot the 300 RUM and were interested so I asked about both.
We're still learning so all answers are appreciated.
Erik

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.