Nosler Accubonds?

In my humble, not as experienced as most of the guys around here opinion, the Accubond is one of the best hunting bullets out today. They are tough, hold together, and almost always accurate. My 7mm loves the 160's, and my .338 likes the 225's.

I would try the 200's. The 200gr around 2900 or so, would be a great tool.

I would pick an E-Tip before an AB if the E-Tip shot as well or better.

I've read a lot of conflicting reports on AB's and they apprear to be subject to BT like performance. The are basically the same construction with a core that is bonded to the jacket. I would use them, but probably wouyldn't be a high choice if I really needed penetration.

-Mark

I'm glad you posted...I've been trying to figure out how to post a POLL comparing Accubond's with Interlock's to see what people thought. I've heard almost nothing on either and have no experience.

I tried the 30 cal 200 gr accubonds this past year on my first elk trip. I was shooting them out of a 30-378 at 3400fps. I got my elk and also recovered all 3 bullets I shot it with. Two were front shoulder hits that probally retained half their weight and the other was a gut shot that retained about 75% of its weight. The shots were at 180yrds. I usually use 180 mks. on deer so this is the only time I tried the accubonds. All three bullets were recovered just under the opposite side hide. They expanded well and the elk only went about 75yrds. The two front shoulder hits broke alot of bone so I understand no pass through but the gut shot I expected some better penatration. None the less got my elk.

From my experience with the accubond, its a good all around bullet. You can kill anything from antelope to elk with it and they are reliable from point blank out to pretty far in my experience. If I had a 300 wsm I would probably go with the 180's but thats just me! Either will work fine.

What does everyone think of these. Would be put through a 300. wsm either 180 or 200? Any suggestions?

I think the accubonds are a great bullet that gives you the best of both worlds, expansion and penetration. I have a lot of experience with the nosler ballistic tips in a 30-06 and frequently got pass throughs on deer when shot broadside with them. The accubonds will hold together better that the ballistic tips. I have some 200gr that i am loading in my 300 win mag tomorrow. I'll let you know how it goes.

Welcome to the search for the Holy Grail: a high BC bullet that opens perfectly at 1000 yds. just as it does at 100 yds. I'm still looking.

Until science comes up with the ultimate "do all" bullet, we have to deal with compromises. High BC bullets get us the LR accuracy and wind-bucking abilities that we all desire, but do not always perform as advertised. There are bullets with a better design that are absolutely devastating on game, but don't have the higher BC we crave.

A case in point is the Barnes Triple Shock. IMO, it is one of the most reliable and lethal bullets out there, along with the Swift A-frame. Don't believe me? Talk with several of your Professional Hunters from Africa at your next hunting expo. It is all that most of them recommend. Having said that, they do not have high BC's and I sometimes have trouble getting good accuracy with the TSX.

Berger and SMK's typically give us great accuracy and high BC's, but they don't always perform reliably - especially in smaller calibers at greater distances.

We can all find someone who has had a bad experience with just about every bullet out there at one time or another. In the end, it usually comes down to compromise and the Accubond is near or at the top of my list.

I'm thinking of switching to accubonds in all my rifles after my experiences this year in one gun. I took delivery of a 7STW toward the end of hunting season and without much time to work up loads settled on H1000 and the 160 accubond. Out of 15 shots at game, it was 15 one shot kills from a little over 100 yards to 650 yards.
Are there bullets out there that have higher BCs..yes. Do I think it matters..no. I am very happy with what I have now. One shot was 475 yards in a 20 mph crosswind. It hit where it was supposed to according to my tables. I know on paper and at greater distances, other bullets should work better, but this is a hunting gun and it preforms like I want in a hunting rifle.
I know 650 yards is not considered long range by some but it is for me. And I have confidence that when a longer shot is presented, it will be up to the job.
I like to get off paper and on game as soon as I can. Tiny groups at whatever yardage at a range don't impress me. Dead animals do.

For me and my friends who have used them, they have worked great. I took a thick blacktail last year at about 25 - 30 yards with a 180 out of my 300 WSM and it traveled through solid hide, muscle and bone just in front of the shoulder and lodged just under the hide on the opposite side in a perfect mushroom. Two years ago my dad shot a mule deer with a 200 out of a 300 Ultra at 720 yards with a high shoulder shot and it looked like it was struck by lightning. Pick whichever shoots in your rifle and use it for everything.

I got a new custom 264 Win mag with a 27 3/4' barrel. The velocities are way up with this long barrel and I was concerned about bullet blow up so I went with my first Accubond bullets. The 130 AB did 3350 fps with Retumbo from my rifle with one hole accuracy at 100 yards and just under 1" at 300 yards. I shot 4 deer this past season from 98 to 275 yards with it. All one shot dropped in their tracks kills. Three were pass through shots but one was a buck facing me at 111 yards slightly quartering left shoulder toward me. The bullet was placed on the leading edge of the left shoulder which destroyed it and then made mush of the vitals and was found in the right ham when cutting up the meat. The bullet was a text book mushroom with a weight of 87 grs. That bullet had to hit that deer at least 3200 fps. With that performance I don't think I will look any further for a bullet for my 264 Win mag.

What does everyone think of these. Would be put through a 300. wsm either 180 or 200? Any suggestions?

I use them in everything that I hunt with because of shot to shot performance on game.

There are tougher bullets and bullets with higher ballistic coefficients but In my experience
they have been the most dependable for hunting most game animals elk size and down.

The 180 is a good allround bullet weight for the 300 WSM and the 200s for the larger game.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts