NOSLER ACCUBONDS at 1000 yards on goats.

goodgrouper

MOVE OVER SCIRROCOS, THERE'S A NEW KID IN TOWN. NOSLER HAS PROBABLY JUST INTRODUCED THE ULTIMATE BULLET FOR THOSE WHO PREFER THE LONG SHOT ON ALL CRITTERS BIG AND SMALL! I SAW THESE BABIES IN ACTION ON A DOE ANTELOPE HUNT IN WYOMING THIS WEEKEND AND I WAS VERY IMPRESSED AT THE PERFORMANCE. THE SHOT WAS FIRED AT 949 YARD FROM A .300 WIN MAG. THE BULLET WAS THE 180 GRAIN ACCUBOND. IT PUT A TENNIS-BALL SIZED HOLE THROUGH THE SHOULDER BLADE ON ONE SHOT, AND COMPLETELY REMOVED THE HIP JOINT ON ANOTHER SHOT! I WAS WORRIED THAT AT EXTREME RANGE, THESE BONDED BULLETS MIGHT NOT OPEN UP ENOUGH BUT NOW I HAVE NO FEARS. THEY WORK JUST LIKE THERE SUPPOSED TO-AND NO MORE WEIGHING OF BULLETS PRIOR TO RELOADING LIKE THE SCIRROCOS. DON'T GET ME WRONG, I STILL LIKE SCIRROCOS, BUT EVEN AFTER WEIGHING I STILL GET SOME FLIERS. NOT THE CASE WITH ACCUBONDS. ALL HIT WHERE INTENDED AND THE WEIGHT VARIED LESS THAN ONE-TENTH OF A GRAIN!

[ 09-15-2004: Message edited by: goodgrouper ]

Yes, the accubonds have performed well in my rifles also. I think you acccidentally hit your CAPS LOCK.

GoodGrouper,

I agree that the Accubond may be the best extreme range factory offered hunting bullet around. That being that it was actually designed for hunting.

I have gotten very impressive results with this new bullet. In fact I will replace all my rifle loads using the Ballistic Tip with these new versions in the calibers they are offered in.

I have seen difference in accuracy and velocity potential between the two adn teh Accubond provide much better on game performance.

They just need to hurry up an offer then in the smaller 6mm, 257 and 6.5mm calibers soon.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Great , good expansion on a small critter but how do ya'll think it'll hold up on say Elk out to 500Yds launched at the 300Win mag speeds?

What is the BC of the 30cal Accu-Bonds ??

JDJones75,
the B.C. on the 308cal.Accubond 180gr.is
supposed to be the same as the Ballistic Tip
.507, it might in reality be slightly different as my Accubond's are .020 longer
than my Ballistic Tip's but that might just
be a typical lot to lot variation. as far as
performance a bullet is only as good as it's
placement,you put this bullet in a 300wm at
3100fps and place it in the right spot on an
ELK at 500yard's GAME OVER !!!!!!!!!
B

JDJones75,

To be honest, at 500 yards, I would feel totally confident aiming a 180 gr Ballistic Silvertip into the chest of a bull elk.

THere are certainly better options out there but at that range, the velocity will make the bullet perform very well. I would by no means intentionally aim to take out an onside shoulder but I would hold on the off side shoulder.

As far as the Accubond, in all the testing I have done with expansion and penetration, it compared extremely well to the partitions of equal weight, in both weight retention and penetration.

Personally I would opt for the heavier 200 gr version if hunting elk but that is just my opinion. I feel either Accubond in 308 would perform extremely well on elk size game from a 300 Win Mag out to 500 yards.

Good Shooting!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Hi , I just started shooting the 200 gr. accubonds and am finding them not as accurate as the SMK , but way better than the sciroccos. I am curious as to what kind of powder everyone is using . I have been using H1000 .

fiftydriver,
I agree the 200gr accubond might be better
on elk at 500 yds. than the 180's but they
shot so good that I have not got around to
testing the 200's yet in a 300wm.at 500yds.
the accubond 180's shoot way better groups
than partitions with a higher B.C.
Nosler Accubond's have just made there
partitions obsolete,they perform just as well
or better at a betterB.C.

Hey Willy I just finished loading my ammo for my up and coming Black bear hunt.In my 300RUM 95.5 0f retumbo with 200 Nosler Accubonds for an Aproximate MV of 3,150.Rem Mag primers.
smile.gif

brian b and Iron Worker , Thanks for the replys . I am also shooting a 300rum using Win brass and Federal benchrest primers . Are you guys loading them anywhere close to the lands or just to fit the mag . That may be part of the difference that I am noticing , with the smk's I had them loaded out almost to the lands and when I switched to the accubonds I shortened them up more for a hunting load so the mag could be used .

Brian B,

Please do not think I would not feel totally comfortable using the 180 gr version on elk because that is not true and I feel you have a totally adaquate elk bullet.

As I stated, at 500 yards I would feel fine with a 180 gr Ballistic Tip for a chest shot and the 180 gr ACcubond is a far better heavy game bullet then this one.

As with you, if I tested a load that shot as well as yours, I would probably save the time and money and stick with the 180 gr load as well.

The Grass is always greener mentality is not always a good way to look at rifles.

I much prefer the "if it ain't broke don't fix it" theory.

I was not questioning you at all on your load developement. If I were to develope loads for the 300 WSM I would start with the 180 gr version first as well, better ballance of weight for this case volume.

With the 300 RUM, I would start with the 200 gr version, just because I feel this is a better balance for the big RUM case, this was my only criteria in my posting I would use the 200 gr version first.

Good Shooting, let us know how the load works on game this season!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.