Nosler Accubond

I can't tell you exactly what velocity, but I had POOR results at 1900. It depends a lot on what resistance the bullet encounters as well. I've found that accubonds actually "rub" off part of the nose at lower velocity, but maintain approx. the same diameter. Expansion is a relative term (if it expands from .308 to .312, that doesn't in my book qualify as expansion) From the bullet testing that I've done, I would say reasonable expansion occurs at quite a bit higher velocity than advertised...........Rich

For long range, I would definitely go with the Berger. With the much higher B.C. they will maintain their velocity much better as well......Rich

I am lookig at the all around performance. From the muzzle out to 1000 yards.. The Bergers don't perform well at close range. Need a bullet for moose, bear and caribou.

I am lookig at the all around performance. From the muzzle out to 1000 yards.. The Bergers don't perform well at close range. Need a bullet for moose, bear and caribou.

Well, it looks like you've probably stirred up a hornets nest with that comment :D

I shoot the 180 E-Tips out of my 300 RUM @ about 3400 fps. they are advertized to expand @ 1800 fps, but you wont get a full peel backof the petals. I do tihnk you'll probably get enough expansion for them to make a good kill. Depending on how big a bear you're shooting, I might try a little closer than 1000 yds.

The best 30 cal bullet I know of is the GS HV 177. It has a higher BC than the Noslers and you will get 100-200 fps more velocity than the 180 bullets. It's also a better performer. And of course, they aren't cheap....

Mark

I want to hear it from all sides.
My buddy shot a mule deer last year with a 185 berger at 3450 fps with a 300 RUM at 80 yds. It punched a hole straight through him. It appeared that there was zero expansion.The hit was a double lung shot.

I want to hear the good and bad from both sides of the fence.

My dad shot a few deer this year with the 210 Berger out of a 300WBY and most zipped through a couple caught some bone and then it removed said bone from its previous location and augered a hole, all shots under 300yrds. We never got this bullet on an elk but I kinda expect that it would work real good on an animal with more mass at any range. I shot a elk with a .277 Berger and it was awsome. I also shot a deer with the Accubond, and while it worked it did not expand like I thought it should have hitting the deer at around 2600fps it opened up to the ogive but did not peal back. It did smoke it though but I felt it did not drop as much energy as it should have into the animal.

I used a 300wsm shooting 180gr accubonds on my Mountain goat hunt this year. I took several hunters with me this year so I had the opportunity to take shots at multiple ranges. Both goats I shot were around 300lb animals. 350 yard shot went halfway through the animal. It took three shots to keep him from running up the mountain. All the bullets I found in him had fragmented into little pieces. The next goat I shot was at 80 yards. Same story with the bullets. Alot of little pieces. I watched the goat spit lung matter after I shot him but he ran 100yards before he slowed down and I got another shot into him.

I live in Alaska and basically work in order to pay for my hunting. I would definately not use an accubond on a brown bear. I prefer them to stop exactly where they are standing.

If a guy was going to use a 300 RUM for Mule Deer, Elk, Moose, and Sheep, which would be better the 200 Gr Accubond or the 210 Gr Berger?

Right now my 300 Rum is good to 800 Yards. Which would be better?

Then once I got it set up for longer range, say 1300 yards, which would be better the Accubond or Berger?

I start load development on the 210 Bergers this month.

If a guy was going to use a 300 RUM for Mule Deer, Elk, Moose, and Sheep, which would be better the 200 Gr Accubond or the 210 Gr Berger?

Right now my 300 Rum is good to 800 Yards. Which would be better?

Then once I got it set up for longer range, say 1300 yards, which would be better the Accubond or Berger?

I start load development on the 210 Bergers this month.

You're gonna get a lot of opinions on that and I think the best thing for you to do is read a lot of threads about them and decide for yourself.

I would pick the 200 AB because they will hold together better.

Mark

I am leaning toward the AccuBond but only by a slight margin, 52 %(200) to 48 % (210).

Cost is some what of a factor. I like to be able to afford target practice as much as I like with the same bullet I use for hunting.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.