Nosler Accubond

bearhtr2

Wanted feedback on bullet performance. Anybodybused both the Nosler accubond and long range version???? Pics of results?

CaptnC

IMG00023-20111230-0940.jpg
7mm RUM at 300yds 140gr AB 3200ish fps....quartering away...just a little.

6.5-06 130gr AB DRT 307yds a nice buck last season...nice wound channel with golf ball size exit. Sorry no pics.

CaptnC

Yes sir. I have the 129 6.5 LRAB's but have not put a bullet on bone yet.

Edit; I thought had both only have the 129gr

Last edited:

Plinker147

Shot two cow elk and 1 antelope last year with 129's LRAB out of 6.5 at 3000fps. All one shot kills. Both elk were broadside heart/lung area shots, bullets stop on just under off side hide on both. I didn't weigh the bullets but they were around 60-70%. Antelope was high shoulder and it passed through. I posted a picture on another thread about BT and LRABS.

laker

I did a test with my 6.5-06 with 142 grain lrab started at 2950fps. I wrapped an elk femur in a couple layers of cardboard and then taped the femur to a water jug and stacked two more jugs behind it and shot it from 40 yards.
69C8D494-CF3F-49E9-8267-1C7307C10E57.jpeg
Went though 1st jug and dumped shrapnel in second jug and went into 3rd jug and poked a hole on backside of 3rd jug but didn’t have enough to pass through. That’s 3 feet of water jugs
2AE27D09-CCF8-41EE-B598-84D3226F7638.jpeg
Here’s the pass through of femur.
CEA582C5-2571-4ACC-BD30-61BFDD5A6981.jpeg
04556CE7-8263-47BB-A618-3EE70F278260.jpeg
142 grain lrab retained 63 grains. I’d have no problem dumping one into an elk

bearhtr2

great test. I agree. I think it will work. I have heard the LRAB will mushroom easier and not retain as much weight. That was why I was curious if anyone had used both and what difference in bullets they observed.

laker

great test. I agree. I think it will work. I have heard the LRAB will mushroom easier and not retain as much weight. That was why I was curious if anyone had used both and what difference in bullets they observed.
The regular accubond retains a little more weight

Shortmagman

I load for a number of my deer hunter friends and the bullet I use most of the time is the regular Nosler Accubond, so I have shot or have seen over 20 deer shot with this bullet. I say it is our favorite deer bullet from 30 yards to 400.

Last year I decide to try the 150 LR Accubond in my 280 Rem.. I took a small doe, about (100 lbs) at 104 yards. I found there to be quite a bit of difference between the two bullets. The regular accubond does retain more weight and it also seem to penetrate more. The LR destroyed the shoulder of this small deer. I think the regular accubond would have done less damage because it would not have expanded as quickly and as much. Both would have killed the deer.

I have concluded that for deer up to 300-400 yds I will use the regular accubond. For longer shots the LR should work fine.

Recent Posts

Latest Classifieds

Nightforce has great tracking capabilities, they are rugged, a bunch of elevation, holds zero forever, and reticles are designed for long range shooting. So if you are looking to shoot long distances constantly, then you need a scope that can take the abuse. -- gilmillan1

Culture Of Excellence At Nightforce Optics
By Len Backus

A high level of quality both in production and in service. Read More

Nightforce is such a solid combo of reticle, available elevation, glass that is good enough to shoot at the longest range you can dial. Nightforce has bullet proof construction that can handle the incidental horse rolling or some other rodeo action. -- bigngreen

Nightforce ATACR Scope Review
By Jeff Brozovich

The new NightForce ATACR is for sure a top choice for any long range shooter. Read More

The total package. Nightforce is the best I have used as far as turret feel and solid detents. I have never had one that didn't track right on and always return to zero. Nightforce NXS is the best value for everything I need. -- Broz

Nightforce Velocity 1000 Reticle Review
By Scott Shreve

I think Nightforce knocked it outta the park with this reticle! Read More

NightForce