Nosler Accubond switch to Ballistic tips

Summa724

I have a Remington 700 LR in .300wm.
I have a load that is looking good through Chronograph and on paper. I am using 180 grain accubonds. I was thinking of switching to Ballistic Tips for target shooting and steel plates and long range simply because of price difference. Then switching back to accubonds for hunting. The bullets on noslers sight are showing the same ballistic coefficient for both bullets. So to me they should shoot identical? Let me if this is a bad idea.

Good idea, but it does not always work out. I have tried it in more than one gun with mixed results. You will just have to try it and see if it works in your gun.

Ok. Thanks. I am .02 off lands with accubond. Should I run the same length or take new measurements with ballistic tips?

I just set both to the same OCOL. I my case that is OCOL=2.277 and is .020 off the lands with the Accubonds and should also be .020 off the lands with the BT. The BT seems to have a slightly slimmer profile and COL might be a tad longer but not much.

Wow. I didn't know that. I am relatively new to long range. I have seen differences with powder lot # . But never checked bullets. I have weighed them though.

Wow. I didn't know that. I am relatively new to long range. I have seen differences with powder lot # . But never checked bullets. I have weighed them though.

If you don't already have a Hornady OAL Guage and bullet comparator I'd highly recommend one.

Accubonds are $21.20 and Ballistic tips are $16.20. If $5/50 is worth the trouble switching, then have at it.

It is a slight difference and you can see it if you hold both in your hand side by side. I was a little surprised by it too. And a little surprised when they shot so close to the same that I didn't have to re-zero. I use the same powder and load with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.