Nosler accubond performance

My thoughts too.
We all get a little hokey over bullets on this site, but the accubond is a proven premium hunting bullet.
my thoughts, another example of how important shot placement is over many other factors
110 gr accubond in .257 wthby/deer behind shoulder at 300+ is dynamite...anchor

I guess I'll quote myself. Apparently I might as well state the common rebuttals right to start with lol
No problem with a finishing shot like that, but still you cant ask a bullet to perform a point blank on skull, 300 yds on lung, and 800 yds on shoulder, ext. They can only do so much, imo.

My Moose didn't like the 6.5 CM 140 accubond. She walked maybe 20 feet. Yes the bullet did fragment across the ribs, and did exit into the other front leg. But a Moose without lungs is a dead Moose.

I love the accubonds and use them in many Calibers and have never seen that before, maybe you got a bad one, have taken many shoulder and accidentally a skull shot and never had one look like that. Send the pick and the bullet to nosler, and see what they say and let us know

S

shot a wounded elk in the head with a 22 pistol no trouble with penetration it was all in the angle the elk was shot. David
You use what you have. Most of my teens and twenty's I fed my family with a 22 hornet single shot. Didn't take long to figure out that if I go for the chest I'm going to be searching for a deer for hours and probably won't find it. After the great realization that the 22 hornet was not a bone crusher the headshot and that little very accurate 22 worked like a 338! I still have that gun but I now have better choices 🤠 Nessessity is the mother of invention

IMHO,
The bullet was too close, and hit the skull, which was way too close and I believe that Nosler says the best performance is best at 150 yds to 500 yds on their Accu Bonds. To me, it looks like it penetrated, and met a heavy liquid substance, and the front disintegrated, and the shank started tumbling. At that close range ( 40 yds )
bullet performance, and any bullet, will be put under extreme stress, and will, more times than not, not perform to parameters.

You use what you have. Most of my teens and twenty's I fed my family with a 22 hornet single shot. Didn't take long to figure out that if I go for the chest I'm going to be searching for a deer for hours and probably won't find it. After the great realization that the 22 hornet was not a bone crusher the headshot and that little very accurate 22 worked like a 338! I still have that gun but I now have better choices 🤠 Nessessity is the mother of invention

My buddy's grandfather used to keep the deer from destroying his apple orchard with an old Marlin 22 magnum. His preferred shot placement was right over the top of the heart. When asked about his choice of armament, he said that it put them down noticeably better than the 22 long rifle did. It was a pretty close range operation, and the 300 Savage was his only other rifle. The neighbors would have had a conniption if he shot them with that. He also didn't like the head shot, because it was too easy to screw up.

Very Interesting!! Was the final Kill shot to head taken at very close range??? If so , I would have expected to see the jacket mostly peeled back and 75 percent of the contents of the projectile missing or in tiny fragments . Impressive it held together so well . "Death cannot come quicker than a bullet through the brain" was a quote from some old book on Hunting

My comment was made before he edited his post to say why the headshot was made. You should know what you are talking about first.
It appears the original poster stated it was a finishing shot on page 2 of this post. You posted on page 4.

It appears the original poster stated it was a finishing shot on page 2 of this post. You posted on page 4.

Sometimes posts appear later in the sequence than one would expect to see them. If you answer something as soon as you read it, often your answer will show up several posts after somebody had already addressed the matter.

Sometimes posts appear later in the sequence than one would expect to see them. If you answer something as soon as you read it, often your answer will show up several posts after somebody had already addressed the matter.
As someone who saw the initial post, the "finishing shot" part was added later. In fact it was added after I asked how deep the penetration was...
Post can be edited by the author

I didn't know that. It really is meaningless at this point anyway. People are sometimes quick to judge without knowing all the facts first. I'm as guilty as anyone and I apologize if I offended anyone, wasn't trying too.

What did the bullet from the chest shot look like? At 400yds I'm guessing it wasn't a pass through.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.