Nosler accubond performance

I understand criticism of headshots for all the reasons mentioned (and more). There is a very small amount of grey matter inside the cranium, relative to the size of the head.

On the other hand, in the context of this example, the animal was on the ground bleeding out. Is a head shot really a bad idea?

I have approached from the rear, stood on an antler and slit throats before. This comes with a certain amount of risk, and for me, very little in the way enjoyment.

Much easier and safer to approach from the rear and put a bullet behind the ear... Just my .02

Uh, it would seem that the questions to be answered is ... (1) How far was the shot and (2) Did the elk drop or run off, and how far?

I'm surprised he decided to take a finishing shot to the head (at close range) on an elk he planned to mount. If the bullet had performed as I expected the cape would be ruined by a large offside exit wound. I wonder if the taxidermist pulled it out of the brain, or poured it out. I would predict it was the latter. I like the AB and the ABLR inand shoot them in both my 270WSM, 28 Nosler, and .264 Win Mag. It's comforting to know the bullet won't blow up when striking heavy bone.

Wanted everyone's thoughts on this bullet?
It's a 140gr accubond from a 270
View attachment 214909
from an elk skull at 40yds. Not what I expected personally
Wanted everyone's thoughts on this bullet?
It's a 140gr accubond from a 270
View attachment 214909
from an elk skull at 40yds. Not what I expected personally
I have shot most big game animals in North America with AccuBonds from 25-375 calibers. Not in the head, behind in front as nd behind shoulders. Usually one shot kills, bullets preformed perfectly.

That bullet of yours is interesting. You should show that to Nosler.
Kent Potter

Samples of one are difficult when it comes to drawing conclusions.
My Wife hunts with a 6.5x55 and a 6.5CM, both using a 140 Nos. Part. within 100 fps of each other. She has shot 2 young bull Elk, in both case the bullet penetrated both shoulders and exited, also with good terminal performance. She has done the same with several Deer but she shot one AR Whitetail that was not big at all, angling from back of the ribs to the offside shoulder and the bullet did not exit at all. I have no idea why but I do know strange things happen.
Concerning the .270 Accubond, I used that bullet on 10-12 head of Big Game with really good results but I will confess I did not shoot a Elk in the skull, or an Elk at all with that bullet. I believe it is a very good bullet.
I hope some day we have a bullet that expands at all useful velocities, Penetrates the same every time, with a good BC and very accurate, EVERY TIME. I don't know if we are there, I see new stuff like the TLR and wonder & I am thankful that the bullet companies keep trying!

I suspect that I am going to get a few opinionated opinions, but.....here goes. I have been using Barnes TSX and TTSC with incredible, reliable results. Full penetration (never recovered a bullet yet) large entry and even larger exit. I only wish that the BCs were higher. I have a .270AI so this thread interests me, and....I do have a good quantity of ABLRs in 130, 140 and 150gr bullets that I have not had a chance to harvest an animal with as of yet. I can tell you from experience that the Barnes 30 caliber (30-06) 180 grain TSX is an incredible bullet as are the .35 caliber (.358 Winchester) 200gr TTSX, the 225gr TSX (35 Whelen), and my last animal that I harvested was a 170lb. black bear with a broad side shot with a 45-70 using a Barnes 300gr flat nose, hollow point bullet; see attachment (exit hole, note my hand). I have read a lot about Hammer bullets, and....they do have some very interesting BCs on them, been wanting to try them just haven't gotten around to them yet.

Attachments

• 45-70 bear hunt.jpg
    45-70 bear hunt.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 102
Last edited:
Too much bone and not enough regular medium like liquid organ/tissue to cause normal expansion. You must have hit some heavy bone to have even recovered it! I bet a shot to the skull would most likely have passed on through the head.

I have and use quite a few of the NAB 140's in .277, and I have experienced very good results. Hitting an elk's skull @ 40yds isn't the best example of any bullet's performance, but in the end, was it dead?

I've shot a few farm and wild animals in the head as have a few friends, and every so often, strange things happen: Ricochets, bullets that simply ran under the scalp, etc. Hog hunting with dogs and shooting skulls at close range with handguns can, occasionally, reveal interesting results.

Edit to add: Hence why am I rather against shooting most game animals in the head.
Two things I don't like in this thread 1. Heads shots are not for sportsmen,to easy to miss or just wound the animal. Last year I saw a cow elk with her lower hanging from a missed head shot. 2. Used to be a fan of Nosler ammo until while hunting on a ranch in Northern Colorado. The outfitter would not let me use NP bullets, said every elk he had lost was shot with NPs. NPs won't expand unless you hit a bone. Tried the Nosler tipped bullets, with theses one must be extremely careful and not damage the tip.

Look's like it did its job. At least it was not a thin jacketed bullet that came apart on impact leaving an Elk with a bald spot on his head running through the woods. This is why I have made the switch to bounded bullets for hunting in my fast hard shooting rifels.
I thought the "accubond" was a bonded bullet?

First and last head shot: Years ago when I was a kid and elk hunting in Washington late season I came across fresh tracks that went in to a little willow patch, hear a little noise and saw a spike elk looking at me 25 yards away, pulled up rifle held nose in cross hairs, band dropped like lighting. Had to walk around patch of willows only to see elk heading out. Few minutes heard shot, found the elk I shot was being taged by other hunter. Talk to hunter and he said elk was running shaking his head and them came by me, shot him in the shoulders, . I told him what happen and we looked at elk and it looked like a router bit shaved a slot between the horn.
From that date forward I have killed many elk and deer that could be a head shot but only use the lung shot, never have lost one shot in the lungs. Just my 2 cents.

I suspect that I am going to get a few opinionated opinions, but.....here goes. I have been using Barnes TSX and TTSC with incredible, reliable results. Full penetration (never recovered a bullet yet) large entry and even larger exit. I only wish that the BCs were higher. I have a .270AI so this thread interests me, and....I do have a good quantity of ABLRs in 130, 140 and 150gr bullets that I have not had a chance to harvest an animal with as of yet. I can tell you from experience that the Barnes 30 caliber (30-06) 180 grain TSX is an incredible bullet as are the .35 caliber (.358 Winchester) 200gr TTSX, the 225gr TSX (35 Whelen), and my last animal that I harvested was a 170lb. black bear with a broad side shot with a 45-70 using a Barnes 300gr flat nose, hollow point bullet; see attachment. I have read a lot about Hammer bullets, and....they do have some very interesting BCs on them, been wanting to try them just haven't gotten around to them yet.
My experience as well. That's why I say almost an everything bullet because of BC, exactly what I mean.

I frequently mention the Recovered Bullet Photo Gallery thread and there are many Accubonds in there. They are proven killers and are shown to stay intact, but show rather low expansion.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.