Nosler accubond performance

I have had very good results with the accubonds. The 19 big game animals I have shot with them, from 20 yards to 620, would agree. Never shot a bull elk in the skull though. I have seen bullets do weird things. As stated above, a fast bullet at very close range, into an elk skull is probably not something ammo manufacturers design their bullets for. I assume it was a finishing shot. Most bullets today are manufactured to perform within certain perameters, ie: avg distances, avg impact velocities. Anything outside those averages can challenge a bullet design. Then again, we all have probably witnessed the "inexplicable" when it comes to bullet performance.

Bullets behave differently penetrating heavy bone...this is why solids are needed for brain shots on Elephant for RELIABLE kill shots.
Sure, a heavily constructed soft will kill an Elephant when everything is perfect, but what happens when it's not 'perfect'?

Anyway, have seen many bullets tumble on head shots. We used to experiment when euthanising horses, bullets also don't go in straight lines. We would find them in the spine, off to either side, even in the hip of a couple.
The direction they would deviate in could never be predicted, some would turn mildly, others would go up or down at extreme angles as well as to the right or left or somewhere in between.
The 416 410gr soft or solids seemed to go the straightest and they were the ones found in the hips of 2 horses, exceptional penetration.

Cheers.

I have and use quite a few of the NAB 140's in .277, and I have experienced very good results. Hitting an elk's skull @ 40yds isn't the best example of any bullet's performance, but in the end, was it dead?

I've shot a few farm and wild animals in the head as have a few friends, and every so often, strange things happen: Ricochets, bullets that simply ran under the scalp, etc. Hog hunting with dogs and shooting skulls at close range with handguns can, occasionally, reveal interesting results.

Edit to add: Hence why am I rather against shooting most game animals in the head.
I highly doubt any bullet maker is designing bullets for head shots as its a pretty un common/poor choice for a shot on north american game.
Where do u guys recommend finishing shots be put?
Elk had been shot behind the leg, was still in the process of dying and laying down...just surprises me, I've shot enough beef between the eyes, I never thought an elk skull had enough to do that to a 140gr bullet, reminds a person to be careful of those shoulder shots.

I'm not being a smartass or anything, but did you mean to take a head shot? I've never taken an intentional skull shot on a game animal, but since the bullet was recovered by the taxidermist, I'd say terminal performance was pretty good.

I'm not being a smartass or anything, but did you mean to take a head shot? I've never taken an intentional skull shot on a game animal, but since the bullet was recovered by the taxidermist, I'd say terminal performance was pretty good.
Oh my, read my reply above.
It was my brother in law who shot the elk, out one behind the shoulder six inches up from bottom of the ribs. Elk walked into some bush and laid down to die, when he got to it it was still dying so he finished it with a head shot

Where do u guys recommend finishing shots be put?
Elk had been shot behind the leg, was still in the process of dying and laying down...just surprises me, I've shot enough beef between the eyes, I never thought an elk skull had enough to do that to a 140gr bullet, reminds a person to be careful of those shoulder shots.

If needed, I typically shoot another chest shot, but I have shot a couple of game lying in tall grass thru the neck base/spine. Larger game with sloping head/faces can deflect bullets in strange ways, and I have seen a Whitetail shot, supposedly, between the eyes, only to watch a puff of hair fly and so did the deer. After being killed with a chest shot, we found about a 2-3 inch bald-to-the-bone and bloody bullet mark on its forehead. Bones are hard, and sloping bones on large game can act like sloped armor.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.