Nosler accubond performance

Canhunter35

Wanted everyone's thoughts on this bullet?
It's a 140gr accubond from a 270
A786BE3C-EE8A-4474-BAB8-0A61A8F3FD44.jpeg

from an elk skull at 40yds. Not what I expected personally

Edited:
Since some ppl are so concerned about a head shot, I will add to the story.
My brother in law shot the elk at 400 yds behind the shoulder, elk walked into some bush with a hump in his back, when he got there it was still dying so he shot it in the head. Reason for post isn't a complaint but shocked that the bullet looked like this after smashing into the elks skull. To me this is a reminder to be careful on those shoulder shots on elk and moose

Last edited:
Samples of one are difficult when it comes to drawing conclusions.
My Wife hunts with a 6.5x55 and a 6.5CM, both using a 140 Nos. Part. within 100 fps of each other. She has shot 2 young bull Elk, in both case the bullet penetrated both shoulders and exited, also with good terminal performance. She has done the same with several Deer but she shot one AR Whitetail that was not big at all, angling from back of the ribs to the offside shoulder and the bullet did not exit at all. I have no idea why but I do know strange things happen.
Concerning the .270 Accubond, I used that bullet on 10-12 head of Big Game with really good results but I will confess I did not shoot a Elk in the skull, or an Elk at all with that bullet. I believe it is a very good bullet.
I hope some day we have a bullet that expands at all useful velocities, Penetrates the same every time, with a good BC and very accurate, EVERY TIME. I don't know if we are there, I see new stuff like the TLR and wonder & I am thankful that the bullet companies keep trying!

I'd say it impacted bone on an angle which bent the tip over and caused it to tumble before it could expand.
My thoughts too.
We all get a little hokey over bullets on this site, but the accubond is a proven premium hunting bullet.
my thoughts, another example of how important shot placement is over many other factors

I have and use quite a few of the NAB 140's in .277, and I have experienced very good results. Hitting an elk's skull @ 40yds isn't the best example of any bullet's performance, but in the end, was it dead?

I've shot a few farm and wild animals in the head as have a few friends, and every so often, strange things happen: Ricochets, bullets that simply ran under the scalp, etc. Hog hunting with dogs and shooting skulls at close range with handguns can, occasionally, reveal interesting results.

Edit to add: Hence why am I rather against shooting most game animals in the head.

Last edited:
Bet he had more than a headache from it. Pretty impressive it held together so well. Hit any elk solid on shoulder bone and bullet performance will be tested and I will guarantee you the end result bullet will look different every time. Angles, velocity, body mass, bone density, animal alertness, hormones, adrenaline, just play fits with bullets so all I expect is dead. If it does that consistently, then I am good to go. The 140AB is a go to for my .270 as well though working on final 150ABLR load with RL26 that looks fantastic. Just need to stretch it out to confirm.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.