Nosler Accubond LR at short range ?

povertyknob

I guess Im like alot of people out there. I want an exit but I also like a bullet to fragment. 85% of my shots on deer will be 300 yds or less.So, Reading about the Nosler LR Accubond that expands down to 1300 fps I thought that might be an interesting bullet traveling at average fps of a 308, 6.5x47, 7mm08 or similar cartridges. My thoughts would be the bullet would fragment maybe 50% but the the remainder of the bullet would give me an exit. I called NOSLER and they said it would work fine but would shed more weight than the standard accubond. If it works it will give me a all around bullet for short and Long range. Being a bonded bullet it should still hold together better than a ballistic Tip. Whats everybody's thoughts ?

Have not shot the LR Accubonds but really like the regular Accubonds. I would take the Nosler advice, put on my hiking boots & start shooting all kinds of critters. Ground checks are the best method!
Thanks, Kirk

I've used the 30 cal 190 ABLR to take two deer at 70yds. One doe. One buck.

The ABLR is soft. It'll make a big hole at close range.

Doe had an exit.

As you can see, exit was the size of my fist.

The buck did not have an exit. This is the entrance.

I'm sure interested to see what the 142s do out of a 6.5x47 Lapua. I'm sure it want be that violent at just just over 2800 fps.

Buttermilks results are from bullet blow up ablr are made from a less dense core material to achieve the longer bullet for higher bc its similar metal to ab bullet core but a alloy with a thinner jacket on a 300rum the blow up goes away around 3000fps give or take a little at longer ranges say the 175 200 range from my experience with mine running at 3300fps im at or above 200 plus to stop it but at 70 yards that thing is hauling butt still. If your at the 2800 fps you shouldnt see those results at 100 yards I wouldnt think but I wont promise that

Buttermilks results are from bullet blow up ablr are made from a less dense core material to achieve the longer bullet for higher bc its similar metal to ab bullet core but a alloy with a thinner jacket on a 300rum the blow up goes away around 3000fps give or take a little at longer ranges say the 175 200 range from my experience with mine running at 3300fps im at or above 200 plus to stop it but at 70 yards that thing is hauling butt still. If your at the 2800 fps you shouldnt see those results at 100 yards I wouldnt think but I wont promise that

Pardon the question, but where did you find the information ablr's are made of a "less dense core material"? I was assuming that both bullets are lead core. From years of casting lead bullets every thing that I know of added to pure lead will make it lighter and also harden it to some degree, thus making a bullet less likely to deform.

Higher BC by my understanding of ballistics is due to the longer boattail and the change in the nose shape which require a longer bullet for the same weight.

Just wondering,
Cliff

I was told by a gentleman at nosler during a ammo issue with a 30-378weatherby whole other story for that he explained that in most cases that a slight variation in the metallurgy of the core material can achieve similar softness as pure lead and change the weight as long as the cooling process is controlled assuming smoke wasnt getting blow up my butt I do know this Is true If you heat a steel rod and cool it with water it releases carbon which than makes steel softer now heat another steel rod and this time quench it cool with use motor oil it will then draw in carbon from the oil thus creating a simple temper as a mining equipment engineer I have done the latter to harden a dressed punch or chisel to get it so the tip doesnt deform as fast its quite amazing the what a little heat and a controlled cool process can do to metal to achieve a desired effect even with lead I will try a experiment of my own and see what I come up with using lead and nickel or what ever I can get my hands on as lead is very dense material and nickel is less dense if I remember correctly but still fairly soft as well

The Nosler web site shows 1800 fps minimum for the standard accubond and 1300 fps minimum for the long range accubond. It has to be a softer bullet unless I'm thinking wrong.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.