Nosler Accubond Long Range problem

I've been working with the 150gr Ablr in my custom 270wsm the last few months with great results. Im shooting H1000 in Norma brass and 215m for average velocity of 3060. Loaded to magazine length the load is .120off the lands. I've shot them out to 700 yards and the results are very good.

Here is my initial 100 yard target. 4shot groups. I fine tuned at 500 yards to 67.1gr node.
2013-07-21_20-31-17_55_zpsef7501eb.jpg

Here is my 700 yard target. Shot using .317G7BC. About 1/2MOA low but could be any number of factors. I will recheck my zero range and shoot again soon.
2013-09-19_08-53-32_444_zps3e1fa708.jpg

Last edited:
Tagging on. This may be a longshot. Several years ago I was using a load that with Nosler 140 BT's in my 270 WSM at 3100 FPS. I developed inconsistent groups after good .5MOA performance for a couple of years. I had just got a new lot of BT's. I noticed that the plastic tips on this lot were not anchored well. When I went to a different lot all was fine. I assumed the tips may have been dislodging, ot tipping in flght causing the accuracy issue. I also became cautious of bullets left in the magazine when firing. I have seen the tips lost or deformed. I was never really sure if this caused the problem but discarded that lot and never saw the problem again.

I am pushing just over 3100 with the 150ABLR with RL25 in my rifle. Not done working with it yet, but it seems to be pretty good so far.

Those were both at 200 yards. I am thinking with a little seating depth tweaking, I can tune them up pretty good. RL25 and 22 have been working real well for me.

beretzs

I'm glad to see that in at least one rifle these Noslers can be pushed over 3,100 fps and not go bonkers. Thanks for sharing your results. As I indicated in my original post, when I push these bullets over 3,000 in my 270 WSM they go haywire (like they can miss 4 sheets of notebook paper at 200 yards). They did about what you would expect out of a factory barrel under 3,000 fps so there was no indication that they were about to fall off a cliff with just a little more velocity. Are you using a custom barrel or factory? I was thinking that a 4 groove Brux or Krieger 5R barrel, being more friendly to bullets in general, might allow them to be pushed a bit faster if in fact there is a problem with these bullets being too fragile.

By the way, I've found both RL-25 and RL-22 to be way to temp sensitive for a long range hunting load. They are great powders if you shoot them near the same temp as when you developed the load but that is not practical when hunting. RL-17 and RL-33 employ a different technology and appear to be stable enough to be usable for hunting in addition to giving high end velocities. Ramshot Magnum and some of the Hodgdon Extreme powders are the best I've found so far for temp stability.

I have been pushing the 168 grain ABLR 7mm bullets out of my Dakota with a 5R barrel at 3210 fps without any problems. Initial loads were 0.75" at 200 yards.

This is an old post but just found it searching for info on the150ablr in my own 270wsm. Haven't read all 51 pages of posts but have read some of them so please excuse me if this has already been suggested. Has anyone looked in the bore with a borescope to see if there may be a section with marginal lands or built up copper in one area? I assume the ablr has less bearing surface than other non-lr bullets. If only a small section of the bore had marginal grip combined with a bullet not having a lot of bearing surface then at some increasing velocity the smaller bearing surface bullet would slip and skip in that section before re-engaging. This results in a proper twist stabilized bullet but with a number of physical inconsistencies.

This is an old post but just found it searching for info on the150ablr in my own 270wsm. Haven't read all 51 pages of posts but have read some of them so please excuse me if this has already been suggested. Has anyone looked in the bore with a borescope to see if there may be a section with marginal lands or built up copper in one area? I assume the ablr has less bearing surface than other non-lr bullets. If only a small section of the bore had marginal grip combined with a bullet not having a lot of bearing surface then at some increasing velocity the smaller bearing surface bullet would slip and skip in that section before re-engaging. This results in a proper twist stabilized bullet but with a number of physical inconsistencies.

For what little it's worth. My Ruger M77 in .270 win groups 130 gr Berger VLDs under an inch at 100 yds. I finally got the 150 gr ABLRs to group at under 3/4" but it was much harder to find a load. I just put the two bullets side by side and the length of the bearing surfaces for the two bullets are almost identical. I'm pusning the berger @ 3110 fps and the ABLR @ 2970 fps. I thought that the biggest complaint in this thread about the .277 150 gr ABLR was a concern that it would hold together at close range and high velocity.

All I can say is wow! Finally got all 52 pages read and What a bundle of information guys. Thanks for all the hard work and saving so many of us the trouble of spending money and wasting time. This was very interesting to me because I just picked up a 7mag Model 70 to build a 270STW. I mainly shoot ABs mostly 130s through my 270wsm so i was kinda disappointed in the 150 LRAB results but oh well. Thanks again.

We have had great results with the 150 gr. LRAB out of our .270 winchesters. Had to back off on the velocity compared to the 150 grain VLDs but we have killed deer and elk very far and relatively close with great results.

i have been testing ablr 210 grains and 190 grains in my sako 1/10 twist 300 win mag and i had several good results with. pushed up to 2850fps and i have noticed a few pressure signs and i will change my loads .
last week i have shoot 3 wild hog and all droped like a stone but it was not a long range shot max was 240 yards away exit wounds were clearly big and blood around.

Just bought a Nosler 26, Using the new 142G ABLR... I've tried 5 different powers, at 5 different load levels. Best I've found is US869, 87g... Produced a 2.5" group at 200 yards. I'm hoping for much better than that. Nosler hasn't been any help. In fact they keep telling me to use the 140G load Data. After reading some of the comments here, Slowing down seems to help.
I own 2 other Noslers, and use the Accubond with NO problem. But the New Accubond LR seems to have some grouping issues.

On my 7mm RUM. the ABLR did a nice group at 200. And I stretched it out to 300 and it was all over the map. Any Ideas....
I've check head space, and neck pressure.

Just bought a Nosler 26, Using the new 142G ABLR... I've tried 5 different powers, at 5 different load levels. Best I've found is US869, 87g... Produced a 2.5" group at 200 yards. I'm hoping for much better than that. Nosler hasn't been any help. In fact they keep telling me to use the 140G load Data. After reading some of the comments here, Slowing down seems to help.
I own 2 other Noslers, and use the Accubond with NO problem. But the New Accubond LR seems to have some grouping issues.

On my 7mm RUM. the ABLR did a nice group at 200. And I stretched it out to 300 and it was all over the map. Any Ideas....
I've check head space, and neck pressure.

If it is good at 200 and not 300 it sounds like a stability problem.....Rich

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.