Nosler Accubond and Ballistic Tip Questions

Montanasloth

I am looking at loading up some 140 grain Accubond's for a 270 win. My Question is weather or not the 140 grain Ballistic Tips would have a major shift in point of impact to use as load development and practice. It would be nice to be able to shoot and save a little money while still keeping similar results. Thanks in advance for any insight.

I don't think there will be any big difference in POI. Perhaps the same as buying a new Lot of bullets. You'd want to shoot them to check and see, but they will be very similar.

I've been shooting the 180 ab and bt in my 300 win mag. Will admit I'm not as good of a shot as most on here, but I don't notice any significant difference.

I didn't think there would be a major shift but I figured I would ask people wiser and with more experience than I have. I still want to make sure the 140's will group in my rifle, as I have only shot the 130's and they grouped very well. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I shot both the 140 BT and 140 Accubond out of my Remington 700 CDL in 280 Rem and the point of impact was close enough that I took both with me deer hunting. I was planing to take a close shot with the Accubonds and a long shot with the BT. It did not work out too well so I shot a deer at 100 yards with the BT.

I shot both the 140 BT and 140 Accubond out of my Remington 700 CDL in 280 Rem and the point of impact was close enough that I took both with me deer hunting. I was planing to take a close shot with the Accubonds and a long shot with the BT. It did not work out too well so I shot a deer at 100 yards with the BT.
I know this is a old thread, and just wanted to share my experiences on these bullets. It may help someone else is all. I have been using both bullets since they were introduced (yes I'm old) on both Deer, Elk, and Bear. We used to be able to buy the BT in boxes of 100 in any weight and caliber....ohhhh some of the old days I do miss. Those are the largest/toughest animals, and reality is I have used them for everything I have shot. I pretty much disregard everything but Elk and Bear as my experience has been any "standard soft point" factory bullet will easily and quickly kill Deer sized and down. The major and multiple noticeable failures on animal between these two bullets (ELK, BEAR) has been the BT and there have been many not just one. Yes, the BT has worked but also failed often. The AB performance on target has been consistent and much more effective. The answer the OP's question I have loaded for several (at least 5-6) rifles over the last 15 years that shot both bullets exactly the same with the exact same load. The velocity, POI, and trajectory etc. matched. I have had just as many not shoot to the same POI.

I will never use an accubond again. My only animal was a mature mule deer at at about 350 yds. I shot him 3 times. I was sure I must be either be missing or gut shooting him as he barely flinched. He walked 100 yds and laid down. A hunting partner snuck up and put a finishing round into his neck.

I was expecting a very rank gut shot clean job. However when I got in the chest cavity and removed the heart it had a hole and had been clipped with a second round. Inspecting the rib cage all three holes were within 3 inches of each other. The 165gr 30 cal accubond went straight through. None of them hit bone or more than clipped a rib.

The accubond may be awesome if you hit a shoulder but I'm not shooting at shoulders.

I will never use an accubond again. My only animal was a mature mule deer at at about 350 yds. I shot him 3 times. I was sure I must be either be missing or gut shooting him as he barely flinched. He walked 100 yds and laid down. A hunting partner snuck up and put a finishing round into his neck.

I was expecting a very rank gut shot clean job. However when I got in the chest cavity and removed the heart it had a hole and had been clipped with a second round. Inspecting the rib cage all three holes were within 3 inches of each other. The 165gr 30 cal accubond went straight through. None of them hit bone or more than clipped a rib.

The accubond may be awesome if you hit a shoulder but I'm not shooting at shoulders.
Holy smokes that really sucks. I know there are people who have seen more heart shot animals in their life both firearm and bow. I don't know the exact number, and this last year I've seen two so far. One muzzle loader, one rifle, and I have been hunting well over 40 years. For several years in a row I shot dozens of deer on depredation permits. I have never one time seen any animal with a bullet (even 224 FMJ) hole in the heart live for more than a minute. I'm glad I dont hunt the same deer you hunt. LOL

Not questioning your experience, we've all seen things that just don't make much sense I'm sure. But I am curious about this one, what cartridge and muzzle velocity were these 165s at?

AccuBonds usually get complaints of being too soft. In any case I shot w whitetail at 125 yards with 165 AB out of a 30-06. Probably the same velocity and dropped on the shot. Double lung and jellied the lungs. I don't recall a major POI shift between AB's and BT's but if you're shooting out to longer ranges I'd confirm with the bullet you're going to use.

30-06 2950 fps
That is just weird. Weird things do happen though. Perhaps a faulty batch or something, bit of a head scratcher. Weirdest thing I've seen wasn't bullet failure, but a whitetail buck's "failure" to die as swiftly as all logic dictates he should have. This was with a 270 at about 150 yards, old reliable hornady interlocks 130 grain at 3200 fps muzzle. I can't image that a .30 cal magnum or really anything short of a cannon would have visited more violence upon the creature. Evidence of completely violent expansion WITH an exist wound that, under the skin, was over three inches wide, with a a two inch shard of shattered rib bone laying in the snow 6 feet behind where he was standing. That super vivid BRIGHT red spray extending out to said rib chunk indicating at least one destroyed lung. It was quartering downhill towards me, bullet entered through a shoulder, completely destroyed that quarter of meat unfortunately, upon field dressing it was revealed the side of the heart got clipped, perhaps by a fragment, and one of the arteries was completely severed. And as I mentioned, offside lung completely destroyed, with a huge free bleeding exit wound. Better bullet performance is hardly possible as far as lethality is concerned. That buck I tracked over half a mile and when I found him bedded down he started trying to get up again, shot him in the head and finished the job. There was no blood left to drain, to this day it is beyond me how this happened, all
I know is it did. I felt sick the whole time I tracked it, assuming that somehow I had made a bad shot (though the rib bone and lung spray made me confused as to how), because surely an animal with no shoulder, effectively no heart, one lung, little blood left, and a huge hole in its side could not run over half a mile!!!