Nosler ABLR Jump

@aushunter1

I just realized my fatal flaw 🤦🏻‍♂️
I had worked seating depth prior on this rifle, but was too cheap to buy a comparator and properly obtained max cbto. I was chasing my tail with inadequate results because I was jamming 0.020" thinking that was 0. I loaded the next test (this one) without even considering the starting load.
I just restarted a seating depth test on a max load 😑

For some, probably not a big deal. No pressure signs, whatever. But my process is to start with depth before charge...
Good thing you realised!

Yes reloading is a hard thing to do without the right gear!!

I dont understand this bit in red??

If what your saying is you test at 3 rounds per seating depth of 5 = 15 rounds per charge.
So if your shooting .5 incriments over say 4gr thats 15x8=120 rounds per test??
Am I miss reading something in that??

That means If you go up to 5 rounds per test thats 200 rounds?

I think I am not understanding what you said.

We all have our own methods but If Im not restricted by mag lenght then I go through my powder range at 0.010, 5 @ each charge incrememnt of either .3 or .5 so max 40 rounds per test.

I usually go with bowlers advice of the .050"...put a new 65284 together...the normal oal didn't fair so well...i moved forward with the bullet....still plenty in the neck...reduced my powder load and using a mag primer.....not in the lands...but now shooting nearly 1/2" at 100yds....
Sometimes.....takes a while..and lots of patience....and loading materials......
If you like the rifle....keep at it...eventually it will tell you a tale...

Good thing you realised!

Yes reloading is a hard thing to do without the right gear!!

I dont understand this bit in red??

If what your saying is you test at 3 rounds per seating depth of 5 = 15 rounds per charge.
So if your shooting .5 incriments over say 4gr thats 15x8=120 rounds per test??
Am I miss reading something in that??

That means If you go up to 5 rounds per test thats 200 rounds?

I think I am not understanding what you said.

We all have our own methods but If Im not restricted by mag lenght then I go through my powder range at 0.010, 5 @ each charge incrememnt of either .3 or .5 so max 40 rounds per test.
That would be one heck of a test...

Typically I start with the book's middle charge and work depth in 0.010" increments off the lands until I find a node. I have done this with 3-shot groups, but am now seeing the merit in 4's and 5's.
After I find the tightest grouping node, I shoot groups 0.005" both directions.
Following that, I adjust my powder charge in either 3 or 5 grain increments depending on the caliber.

I'm curious to know what distance of jump is successful with this bullet, specifically the 150gr .270.
I shot a seating depth test today up to 0.060" off the lands and wasn't too terribly impressed. The only two groups worth mentioning was the 0.030" that shot just barely over a minute, and the 0.060" that shot two through the same hole, but then had a flier 1-1/2 minutes high.
Brass is RP 3x fired
Primer- CCI200
Powder- 55gr H4831
Temp- 77 farenheight at 2250'
In a .308 win, and a 7mm RM I've been running ABLRs at 0.010" and both guns shoot about .5 MOA

I have had good results at .1 off.
I'm finding out right now that going longer they are definitely tightening up. Same thing happened with 2 different 7RM's with 175 ABLR. Now I'm
working on M70 in 270 WSM, it has always wanted bullets touching, not into but touching lands, 150 VLD's are .6-.7, Hornady 130's same thing. 150 ABLR touching were 1.75" at best. Moving longer .015 at a time I'm at .6 and .75" groups now. Not done yet but the wind picked up, to be continued....

Last edited:
270 WSM M70 with 150 grain Nosler Accubond LR ended up .089 off lands for .4-.6" 3 shot groups, cooling barrel completely between groups.
Nice! I'll have to come back around to working with that bullet and see if I can get it tightened up

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.