Nosler 6.5mm 129 LRAB Problem

Maybe I'm responding to the wrong thread. Wasn't the bullet damaged ??? How does neck tension during the case resizing effect the bullet seating process ? Am I missing something ?

When your seating the bullet the resistance you feel As you seat the bullet is from neck tension

IMO, regardless what the issue is, a VLD seater is still a good idea with the Low drag bullets. To bend a bullet, you'd need a lot of neck tension. If he has a standard Redding FL die, it's not giving too much neck tension. It'd have to be a bushing die with too small of a bushing.

It's easy enough to check. Seat a bullet in an empty resized case, and see if it does the same thing. ABLR have a very soft tip. But it's also likely caused by the compressed charge. Not unheard of with this bullet and a standard seating stem. If no mark, problem isnt with the sizing.

It's easy enough to check. Seat a bullet in an empty resized case, and see if it does the same thing. ABLR have a very soft tip. But it's also likely caused by the compressed charge. Not unheard of with this bullet and a standard seating stem. If no mark, problem isnt with the sizing.
Looking at how far the bullet sits in the case, your probably correct. You can see the seating stem ring mark on the bullet.

Umm guys, I am hearing a clear crunch of powder as I seat the bullet into the case. I am using a 6" drop tube, I was hoping that would help, not so sure it does.
Thanks,

142lrab does the same thing if too much neck tension...
Resized all the lapua new brass...no more problems...
0424201149.jpg

Is the need to seat the bullet so deep due to an OAL limitation ?

Yes.
I may have the lands recut to allow longer COL. But if I do that, the rifle becomes a single shot.
Since this is a hunting rifle(260 AI) ising a 700 short action clone, I would rather not give up the use of the magazine. I am using M700 SA bottom metal.
Thanks,

does DUH sound familiar to you ??
i'll keep it simple
where does the bullet go ? IN THE CASE NECK.
what holds the bullet in the case neck BEING SMALLER THAN THE BULLET DIAMETER.
if the case neck is really small will it require a lot of pressure to seat the bullet YES.
if you use a lot of pressure to seat a bullet, could you leave a mark on the bullet YES.
is there a mark on the bullet in question here YES.

YES YOU RESPONED WRONG.
Maybe I'm responding to the wrong thread. Wasn't the bullet damaged ??? How does neck tension during the case resizing effect the bullet seating process ? Am I missing something ?

Thank you for this tip. I just order a VLD bullet seater from Midway.
Yes.
I may have the lands recut to allow longer COL. But if I do that, the rifle becomes a single shot.
Since this is a hunting rifle(260 AI) ising a 700 short action clone, I would rather not give up the use of the magazine. I am using M700 SA bottom metal.
Thanks,
You should be able to run rounds at 2.9 oal. I'm running 284 rounds at 2.980 in M5 DBM with 162 ELDs and not compressing powder. I can load them in mags. Try some longer dummy rounds in the internal mag.

does DUH sound familiar to you ??
i'll keep it simple
where does the bullet go ? IN THE CASE NECK.
what holds the bullet in the case neck BEING SMALLER THAN THE BULLET DIAMETER.
if the case neck is really small will it require a lot of pressure to seat the bullet YES.
if you use a lot of pressure to seat a bullet, could you leave a mark on the bullet YES.
is there a mark on the bullet in question here YES.

YES YOU RESPONED WRONG.
Nope DUH doesn't sound familiar to me but YOU sound like a DICK to me. I wasn't being a smart ***. Don't be a smart ***.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts