Nosler 6.5mm 129 LRAB Problem

Chopaka81

20200604_085526.jpg

I am using a standard Redding seating die and I am getting a slight deformation of the LRAB bullet when seating with a mildly compressed load of H4831SC.
Looking for a recommendation on an alternate bullet seating holder that won't damage the LRAB bullets.
Thanks,

View attachment 197066

I am using a standard Redding seating die and I am getting a slight deformation of the LRAB bullet when seating with a mildly compressed load of H4831SC.
Looking for a recommendation on an alternate bullet seating holder that won't damage the LRAB bullets.
Thanks,
I'm sure you can find another seating stem to remedy this but off the top of my head, I can't recommend one. Another option it to take your stem and put some epoxy in it. Get your bullet & put kiwi shoe wax or some other release agent on the bullet. Press it into your stem and let it cure. Sand off exess epoxy.

I drilled a 1/16" hole in the centre of my standard seater stem so the nose was free to go further into the stem. The ogive is then pushed further down. A VLD stem would do similar but saved myself $25 doing that.

Cheers.

Don't use the Redding competition seating die with compressed loads. It will end up with you sending the die back to Redding. Ask me how I know.... 😜

Redding does make a VLD bullet seater micrometer that has a dial, you could try that as I think you can seat compressed loads with that one. Looks like this:

11CA636F-9F3F-4724-8341-07E6A8ADB734.jpeg

Don't use the Redding competition seating die with compressed loads. It will end up with you sending the die back to Redding. Ask me how I know.... 😜

Redding does make a VLD bullet seater micrometer that has a dial, you could try that as I think you can seat compressed loads with that one. Looks like this:

View attachment 197133

Thank you for this tip. I just order a VLD bullet seater from Midway.

I used non embedding lapping compound on a bullet to contour the seater stem. I chucked up the stem in my drill press then applied the compound to the bullet. You can chamfer the stem with light pressure.

View attachment 197133
Not to derail, but what happens?

Redding Competition dies can split if you try to compress too much. Mild crunch works fine but go to far and not good.

They make VLD seaters for both types of micrometers. I use the competition seater with VLD instert and it works great with all the bullets I have used including the 129/142 ABLR, Bergers, ELD-M, etc. Any dealer can get them. I have part numbers and can get one if you run into trouble finding them.

The spec on the Redding VLD micrometer seater say that it will work on VLD calibers of 243 thru 308. I ordered one from Midway.
Thank you for the suggestions and the specific recommendations gentlemen.

I've run into the same problem with RSCB dies, I switched to Hornady New Dimension dies and the problem went away. Plus they are less of a pain to adjust.

View attachment 197066

Thanks,
RE55726 is the part number for the VLD stem. Unless your competing, the standard seating die adjustment is fine. I have both and can't tell a bit of difference between them. I only use my rifles to hunt and play at LR Stella plates.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.