Nosler 6.5 150g ABLR??

Well...if you hit serious bone most bullets explode...
I just shot a buck at 395yds and bullet hole in..bullet hole out..back edge of lungs/liver....buck stumbled/run downhill 80yds and dead......
65284..2950v

Not in my experience. I've shot umpteen whitetails over the last 40yrs and have used a wide variety of bullets over that time. Regardless of where they were hit, I never saw terminal damage like this and I've hit plenty of them on heavy bone. For years I shot A-Max bullets from a 7STW and never experienced this much damage.

In this particular case - my buddy shot 3 deer, big & small, and they all looked similar to this after being hit by the 142 ABLR from his rather slow Creed.

Just my experience and I know that mileage may vary.

I just shot a buck at 395yds and bullet hole in..bullet hole out..back edge of lungs/liver....buck stumbled/run downhill 80yds and dead......
65284..2950v
With what bullets? 142 ablr? I'm very interested and curious about these. Simple minded fellow on YouTube has tested the terminal ascent, ablr and one other and they were his top 3 picks above monos, which I'm shooting now but after this year I'm not too impressed in the monos. I want a bullet to hold together, make a caliber or slightly bigger entrance and a golf ball or so exit.

With what bullets? 142 ablr? I'm very interested and curious about these. Simple minded fellow on YouTube has tested the terminal ascent, ablr and one other and they were his top 3 picks above monos, which I'm shooting now but after this year I'm not too impressed in the monos. I want a bullet to hold together, make a caliber or slightly bigger entrance and a golf ball or so exit.
what monos, and what has been your experience to make u want to turn away?

what monos, and what has been your experience to make u want to turn away?
First off, IM NOT SPEAKING POORLY OF THESE BULLETS! They did what they're intended to do.

I hunted with the the first gen badlands for two seasons, first year was great, had a kill at 648 yards and the doe dropped with a boiler room shot, second year I payed more attention to details of the kills and I wasn't as shocked and awed by the damage done for tracking or external blood loss. They have a second generation out that is like to try that I think is supposed to have softer copper but in my mind are monos worth the extra cost. When I shot two does at under 150 yards through the shoulders there was not much blood loss on the outside, they did awesome on the inside but from the results I seen blood trails would be minimum. Not sure if all monos are like that but at a cost stand point and for white tails idk if it's worth the extra expense for me.

Other hunters have more reasons to shoot monos, like laws and the availability/cost of getting game meat. I don't have those limitations. One guy had said the same thing on another thread that we had been thinking/doing for quite awhile is shoot the animals in the shoulders for an instant drop and throw the shoulders away after deboning the meat off all you can and go shoot another deer or head/neck shots for less loss in meat. So in essence, what's the point of high dollar bullets other than the cool/consistency factor and probably they're main reason meant to save meat when you still throw the shoulders away when shot there.

I still love the idea of monos, just not sure if they're for me.

Have been shooting the 142 Ablr for 4 years now in my 6.5x55 swede at 2920fps.

Every animal killed has been perfect bullet performance

Have killed deer at 80, 170, 175, 185, 250, 400, 410, 710
Have killed antelope at 190, 200, 215, 330, and 459
Have killed elk at 60 cow, 185 bull, 300cow

All were passthrough even the 710, with 1-1.5 inch exits, except the 60yd elk and 175 deer. Both of those were under the hide and were perfect mushrooms

Never had a failure or had one come apart excessively

Last edited:
Have been shooting the 142 Ablr for 4 years now in ny 6.5x55 swede at 2920fps.

Every animal killed has been perfect bullet performance

Have killed deer at 80, 170, 175, 185, 250, 400, 410, 710
Have killed antelope at 190, 200, 215, 330, and 459
Have killed elk at 60 cow, 185 bull, 300cow

All were passthrough even the 710, with 1-1.5 inch exits, except the 60yd elk and 175 deer. Both of those were under the hide and were perfect mushrooms

Never had a failure or had one come apart excessively
Awesome!! That's what I'm looking for!

Now, with the bullets you found, did you happen to weigh them or still have them to weigh?
Right now I'm doing load development again on 156 Berger's to see how they perform as I haven't had much on game experience with them. Depending on what I find tomorrow, they shoot really well at around 2900-2925fps from 55 gains to 55.5 low es and sd's.

I'm really interested in the ablr 142-150's. I think I'd be more interested in the 150's though.

Awesome!! That's what I'm looking for!

Now, with the bullets you found, did you happen to weigh them or still have them to weigh?
Right now I'm doing load development again on 156 Berger's to see how they perform as I haven't had much on game experience with them. Depending on what I find tomorrow, they shoot really well at around 2900-2925fps from 55 gains to 55.5 low es and sd's.

I'm really interested in the ablr 142-150's. I think I'd be more interested in the 150's though.

The two that were recovered were around 60% retention . One from a large 4x4 mountain muley at 165; high shoulder and spine, found under offside hide. Second was a follow up shot on a large cow elk at 60yds; bullet hit broadside rib, liver and rib going out. Bullet was under offside hide. I can pull them out and post pictures when I find them.

The three most impressive was my 4x5 bull elk last year, slight angle towards. 185yds broke broadside leg, took out heart, lung and passed through behind offside leg. Bull took 3 steps and fell over dead.

Second was just last month on a forkie whitetail at 710yd. Bullet hit in front and above shoulder where it meets neck. Top of scapula, thick neck meat and spine. Bullet passed through. Deer folded

Third was just last month as well. Large 5x5 whitetail at 170 yards. Buck came off from private, jumped fence onto public. I needed to anchor him so I aimed mid neck and folded him 20yds inside the fence line. Passthrough thick of rutted neck meat and spine with about an inch size exit.

The two that were recovered were around 60% retention . One from a large 4x4 mountain muley at 165; high shoulder and spine, found under offside hide. Second was a follow up shot on a large cow elk at 60yds; bullet hit broadside rib, liver and rib going out. Bullet was under offside hide. I can pull them out and post pictures when I find them.

The three most impressive was my 4x5 bull elk last year, slight angle towards. 185yds broke broadside leg, took out heart, lung and passed through behind offside leg. Bull took 3 steps and fell over dead.

Second was just last month on a forkie whitetail at 710yd. Bullet hit in front and above shoulder where it meets neck. Top of scapula, thick neck meat and spine. Bullet passed through. Deer folded

Third was just last month as well. Large 5x5 whitetail at 170 yards. Buck came off from private, jumped fence onto public. I needed to anchor him so I aimed mid neck and folded him 20yds inside the fence line. Passthrough thick of rutted neck meat and spine with about an inch size exit.
Great information and experiences!! You don't have to post pictures if you don't want to…..

Huh, their blems…..I wonder what classed them as blems? From what I've heard, nosler blems are really not far from the higher quality/non-blems. Can anyone confirm that?
I have a bunch of Hornady blems and the tips are certainly messed up whether that's miscolored or misshapen nothing I'd want to try to shoot at any real distance.

Last edited: