Nosler 280AI brass report

Coyboy

I ordered this brass some months ago, and finally got around to using it in load development. I had read that the Nosler brass seemed a little on the soft side. I did not have that experience though.

I was loading a healthy dose of H1000 behind a Berger 180grain vld. I started at a velocity of 2650 fps and continued to increase a grain at a time until I reached 2850fps. (26" lilja 3 groove) I measured case heads pre and post fireing, looked for extractor marks, and presssure signs on the primmers.

I found nothing to indicate the brass could not withstand this level of pressure. Case heads had not expanded and primers were tight.

At 2850fps I was running very close to the potential of a 7mm rem mag, so the pressure was there.

Not wanting to push my luck and being very satisfied with this level of performance, I stopped at 2850.

Overall I like the fact that the brass comes completely ready to load.

I set up this barrel .004" short of the go gauge, and the Nosler brass chambered very good, with a slight crush fit on the close of the bolt.

I honestly think this brass is a great deal, it comes prepped and ready to load, without having to sort and fireform standard 280 brass.

Nosler Brass

I purchased Nolser Brass for my .300 ultra mag. After two reloads using published data the primer pockets were oversize. I called Nosler and they did admit to having problems with the early runs of brass and said they would get back to me in a couple days. That was a month ago and I have yet to hear back from them. Remington Brass is performing great with several reloads and no oversixe primer pockets! Cor-Bon factory ammo
loaded in Remington cases delivers 3300 fps with a 180 gr. Barnes Bullet
and no signs of excess pressure. More expensive is not always better.

I purchased Nolser Brass for my .300 ultra mag. After two reloads using published data the primer pockets were oversize. I called Nosler and they did admit to having problems with the early runs of brass and said they would get back to me in a couple days. That was a month ago and I have yet to hear back from them. Remington Brass is performing great with several reloads and no oversixe primer pockets! Cor-Bon factory ammo
loaded in Remington cases delivers 3300 fps with a 180 gr. Barnes Bullet
and no signs of excess pressure. More expensive is not always better.

I am interested to hear when Nosler gets back to you-Thanks!

Well crap!
Read the first post and got excited about the Nosler brass. I am building a 280AI now. Mine is a tight neck so the formed brass would be great. Just neck turn and load. Then I see the second post, says the brass is crap. Guess I'll wait for a little more input before I make a decission. Waiting for stock to get here anyway. If I need to turn Rem. brass then fireform thats ok too.
Maybe some others will chime in.
I do have 200 rounds of Norma brass in 6.5-284 that is on its 4th. loading. Primer pockets are getting loose. 29.5 gr. of 4350 and a 142 SMK. Threw a few away at last loading and will likely have to throw away more after the 4th. fireing.
Mike C

Last edited:
Premium Brass

I think Norma makes the best Brass. Lapua is good also. Use both in
6.5 x 284

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.